Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Reinstalling FS2K2 in Win XP

I just installed Win XP. I am getting ready to reinstall FS2K2. I still have my FS2002 folder as it was while installed under Win 2000 Pro.After backing up the whole drive, I did a totally fresh install of Win XP formatting under NTFS. Then I simply copied my FS2K2 folder back to where it was.Should I reinstall FS2K2 directly over my current FS2002 folder?Or should I do a clean FS2K2 install and then move over all my huge number of add-ons and downloads (over 200 aircraft and LOTS of scenery) individually???Any thoughts appreciated!!!Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

Bill,You should be able to do a fresh install of FS2k2 and then copy your old FS2002 folder over and overwrite all the files. This should leave everything working as it was before.Clyde

Ya beat me to it Clyde! Thats how I would do it also. However, I would delete your fs2002.cfg file since WinXP uses it own method of numbering your joystick. Otherwise you might end up with multiple copies of the joystick in this file. I don't think it will care but just to have a clean copy. If you use FSUIPC, you will need to redo your settings as descripted in Peter's excellent User's guide.

Thanks guys! Greatly appreciate the advice! Sounds simple and painless. We shall see... :)To W. Sieffert in particular: I don't use a Joystick. Should I not assume that I should not be concerned with deleting my FS2002.CFG file? It sure has an awful lot of special stuff that would need to be redone such as Excludes etc.And as for FSUPIC, I will still have my FSUPIC.INI file where it was in the Modules folder. Should I not assume that FSUPIC will still have my previous settings intact?Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

You can try your original fs2002.cfg and see if everything works but you might want to copy it to a new save location on your harddrive. Delete the fs2002.cfg in your fs2002 folder, restart fs2002, let it satablize, then see if everything is okay.You can always return your original fs2002.cfg from the safe folder.You can also cut and paste from the original all the extra modes you have made.