Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

Blurries again

I'd say this is the best example of tweaking to the extreme. I wouldn't suggest it for the blurries, though, as other non Nvidia users have hit that issue. I've found the anisotropy/LOD adjustments the best (and least risky), and have all but made my 2k2 flights crystal clear. But I've been driven to desperation in other areas, and it reminds me of another tweak...I'm a big fan of S/W radio. Radio Shack's DX-390/392 series is one of the best for the money, yet it had a big problem--it would mute while tuning, so you couldn't scan for distant stations. But some learned person found out how to turn off the muting, and I was brave (foolish) enough to give it a go and translate the instructions into English. Here's one of my very first Usenet posts, dating back to '97:__________DX-390 muting modRemove the five screws holding the back cover on (one is hidden if thehandle is down, and one is hidden in the battery compartment). Gentlylift the back off the unit. Locate two connectors underneath thecircuitboard. One has twelve wires coming out of it, the other hasnoticeably more. Rotate the radio so that the twelve wire connectorappears to the left of the larger connector. Isolate the third wire(which is green) from the left of the twelve wire connector, and cut it about an inch away from the connector, and not at the connector itself._________I use a DX-392 today (same model with a cassette), and it has a very important role in my simming. I regularly pick up trans-pacific and trans-atlantic flights doing position reports from the comfort of my home in AZ, and I usually catch one flight or another every 2-3 minutes in the early evening, using just a whip antenna. My record "distance" was a flight I heard just off of Spain.... Adds a bit of realism to my flying, as I often like to fly FS2002 from Iceland into Europe....-John

Hello, I am new here and read where you have a dx 392. I have a Radio Shack dx 390 in which I have had for a couple years. I definately enjoy it. Just wondering....what frequencies do I go to to listen to those position reports by airlines that you had mention? Also is there any other frequencies on the dx 390 that you have heard other aviation calls. I live in missouri. Thanks

There's a fair number of freqs.... You have to use SSB in order to tune in the pos. reports. Since you live in MO, these North Atlantic freqs. would be the best to scan, after sundown:2.8720 2.8990 2.9620 2.9710 3.0160 3.4760 4.6750 5.5980 5.6160 5.64906.6220 6.6280 8.8250 8.8310 8.8640 8.8790 8.8910 8.9060 11.279 11.30911.336 13.291 13.306 17.946I find the 5.x-8.x freq range the most active in the early evening. This link will provide a map of all enroute freqs... You can print it out and use it as a guide for S/W scanning. The map shows the stations and their coverage, and the key at the bottom shows the freqs used by the station.http://www.northwestradio.com/interceptnw/sw.htmI hope this helps.... I found the DX-390/392 perfect for this type of scanning..... Since you live in MO, you might be able to pick up some of the transpacific flights as well.... For me, I find it amazing that I can sit in Phoenix, and hear a pilot talking 500 miles off the coast of Ireland with nothing but a portable S/W radio...-John

Guest flightpro08

I've got a GeForce 4 Ti4600 and run my second monitor on the DVI port. (Just bought a cheap $10 VGA to DVI adapter.) It's really great to be able to drag stuff (FMC, FSNav, Overhead Panel, etc.) over to the second monitor :DRyan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com

Ryan,Hmmmm...I was wondering how to put that second Port to use. I've been running dual monitors using a second vid card ( PCI )with my TI4600. My second card is a NVidia GF2 32 meg.Am I better off with a single or dual card set up ??Thanks Greg

Guest flightpro08

Greg,The reason I use the DVI port for my second monitor is because when I tryed to put a second video card in, my GF4 died. It keeped giving me an error that there was not enough resources for both cards to run. So, instead of hasiling with trying to figure out the problem, I just bought the little adapter. I've found it to run very smooth without much/any performance hit. Hope this helps.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com