Sign in to follow this  

fs scandal chronicles

hello,it may sound cynical, perhaps it is cynical, but I can hardly await the first detailed flightsim scandal chronicle.I'm visiting AVSIM and other flightsim related sites almost daily and every other week a new 'scandal' is reported. Papa Tango, the shut-down of several designer groups websites, SATCO, pic767 'patchgate', fsplanet, today the DC-3 issue...Although I perfectly understand that great enthusiasm easily can turn into great frustration and anger, the behaviour of the flightsim community does not only simulate aviation but apparently also our society, and the flightsim communities media cover both sides of this simulation. Isn't this very interesting?Privately we would agree that the divorce or an accident of a celebrity is a personal tragedy, nevertheless most of us like to read about it in the papers because it's entertaining. And I have to admit reluctantly that the scandals of the flightsim community are quite entertaining also. So - who writes the first scandal chronicle?Yours

Guest Matt Johnson

Not us.For what it is worth, there was quite a significant editorial discussion about what to do regarding Roy's announcement. In the end, we more or less just printed the press release, and left it at that -- which, it seems from the general response from the readership, was the right thing to do. Jan Visser has been given the right to reply, and I am sure that as soon as we hear from him, we will post a response.The "scandals" sicken us as much as anyone; remember, we're simmers too and not just journalists out there to make a quick buck. I've got the donationware R-4D myself (bought it only a few weeks back, in fact), and was looking forward to the gMax version too, after the reports from the Aviodome show earlier this year about how well Jan Visser's model and the VCs were coming together.I don't really have much to say other than the fact that we report these types of issues because the community needs to hear about them, and not out of any perverse glee for showing "scandal" in our hobby.--M

I do agree. Thats the way journalism has to be doneRegards.