Sign in to follow this  
Guest capherc

Naming Fixes in SIDSTAR files

Guest capherc

I am busy at work on my home airport SIDSTAR file. For added realism I am including the visual approaches. I will need to create some fixes.If I give a fix a name that already exists in the AIRAC files or in another SIDSTAR file, will this create a problem? Or do my SIDSTAR fixes only apply to that airport? I would like to assign names that make sense (ie. "RIVER", "POINT", "BEACH", etc), but I don't want to use a fix name that exists elsewhere in the world.Next question: What is the maximum number of characters that a fix name can have? Five?Thanks!Kenny Rogers

Guest stang

>If I give a fix a name that already exists in the AIRAC files>or in another SIDSTAR file, will this create a problem? The FIX you define will superceed or override any navaid in the FS database. If you load a second airport that has the same FIX there might be a problem. I will have to check with PMDG on this one.>my SIDSTAR fixes only apply to that airport? I would like to>assign names that make sense (ie. "RIVER", "POINT", "BEACH",>etc), but I don't want to use a fix name that exists elsewhere>in the world.>>Next question: What is the maximum number of characters that a>fix name can have? Five?5 is the usual but up to 20 characters can be used, however, I would keep it short just so there is no overlap problem on the FMC display.Terry

Guest capherc

Thanks for your reply. Does anyone else know if I can give my fixes any name I choose, or does it have to be unique from all other fixes listed in the FS9 database, the AIRAC files, and the other SIDSTAR files?Also, can anyone tell me if it is realistic to program visual approaches for use by the FMC? My airport has a rather specific visual approach, beginning 30 miles from the airport. I won't include it if it's not supposed to be there.Can anyone tell me if it's realistic to program "RNP" SIDS and STARS for use by the FMC? I do not know how RNP technology comes into play in the cockpit. I will not include these if they are not supposed to be there.Kenny Rogers

Guest DannyV

From my understanding, the FIX will only be loaded when you select THAT airport for a departure or arrival. Further, when you select the airport SID/STAR, the file is read into memory and processed. Anthony creates some linked-lists for waypoint processing. When you select a SID or STAR, the waypoints you have coded are loaded into the linked-list and added to the route waypoints.Therefore, I think you will be safe :-) You can select any name you like (except for reserved words used as commands eg. OVERFLY, FIX, NAVAID etc). As Terry states though, ICAO waypoints are 5 letters, so I would recommend trying to stay with convention. If you have a look through the AIRAC, you will see that quite a few waypoints appear a number of times all over the world. When you select a WPT in the FMS LEG or ROUTE page, it will ask you to select the correct WPT from a list.Hope this helps...Cheers,Danny Vickers :-waveAdelaide, Australia

Guest capherc

Excellent, thanks! I will give geographic names to all of my fixes, keeping them 5 characters each. Once I finish testing it, I will upload it to Navdata. I would like to know if visual approaches and RNP approaches belong on the DEPARTURE/ARRIVAL page of the FMC. In the real world, would this be on the list when programming your route?Kenny Rogers

Guest DannyV

Kenny,For a Visual Approach, I recommend just selecting the Runway from the list, and selecting a runway extension (eg. 4.0 nm extension for selected runway). This example will give you a fix on the extended centreline for the selected runway at 4.0 nm final. That's how I'd do a visual approach (many ways to skin a cat)...Cheers,Danny