Sign in to follow this  
MartijnPleines

The most realistic way to fly commercial jets in FS

I have heard that the default GPS and a/p is not how the airlines really fly their jets. How do they do it? Is there any special program I can download to make it more real? I just want FS to be as real as possible :)

Guest UweR

Hi, premium choice IMHO is the Wilco Pilot in Command addon, Eric Ernst

You are correct - forget about default GPS and A/P.There is probably nothing more real available for FS than the 767PIC package available from www.wilcopub.com. You can also purchase it from Avsim online store.For something that is free but is a hell more real than anything in FS2002 I suggest the ERJ-145 panel downloadable from www.fsnordic.net. It does not have FMS but it is free. But 767PIC is very real, including simulated failures. There is a forum next door dedicated to this great product.Michael J.

It's good to see another fs enthusiast persuing a realistic experience in MSFS. My best advice to someone just starting out, as far as trying to do it "the right way", would be to:1. I'm assuming that you are already familiar with the basics of flight, ie. can you put the Cessna 182 through its paces fairly easy?2. If the answer to #1 is YES, then I'd recommend one of the PSS aircraft, 747/777, or maybe even the DF 737. These are first-rate packages, both visually and, more importantly, with the panels. While not up to the PIC767 level of realism, they come with excellent documentation and should provide a substantial challenge.3. Assuming you are now familiar with the cockpit and all of its various systems and you can keep the aircraft in the air, the next step is perhaps the longest. Being able to put that big hunk of iron through the same manuevers that you performed with the little ol' 182. Can you perform ILS, VOR, NDB approaches? And don't forget SID's and STAR's....Can you interpret an approach plate? How about intersections?....High altitude airways??? These are just some of the basics when considering flying a commercial jet the "real" way. And the best thing is....it can all be done within FS2002.4. Unfortunately, Microsoft's ATC is still lacking in total realism, although I'd recommend you learn how to handle ATC anyway....Realistic ATC isn't too far down the pike.........Hope this helps...just my two cents worth...PS..The PIC767 is probably the ultimate FS aircraft with regards to "handling" like a real 767. I'd learn the others I'd mentioned first before tackling her.Tony P.

767 PIC is a #1 must have for your FS fleet. A cheap package for what it has to offer. It's also a real nice combo with Posky's 767 Models.Pluto1168(kelvin)

I agree with Tony's advice. However good the 767PIC is you won't be able to enjoy it or handle properly if you never flew in some smaller aircraft before. If you want realism then you must be able to handle 767 fully manually since this is the way pros often fly when in close proximity to airports. And you better know what IFR flying is all about and how to shoot approaches. Relying 100% on auto-everything will not not bring you closer to reality.Michael J.

" If you want realism then you must be able to handle 767 fully manually since this is the way pros often fly when in close proximity to airports."I dout about thatthink a 767 pilot (in Europe) fly will not manually intercept an ILS or something like that

Sorry Seba, I don't understand your comment.Would you say again?Regards,Bob

Guest Claviateur

Any pilot must be able to fly his airplane in manual mode. This is not a choice but an obligation. Either Cessna or Jumbo jet they have to master them. Automation is there to assist and make the task precise. Precision will reduce conflict in busy airport with aproaching traffic, delays, fuel consumptoin and passengers confort etc... However when pilots can disengage an autopilot to resume a manual landing they will not hesitate 1 second to get stick and rudder time.Here in Montreal when the weather is good most canadian pilots in heavies go visual :)Too bad FS users are very much into auto-things and they avoid the fun of stick and rudder. Butif I have 1 add on to suggest for realistic touch it would be Project Magenta kit. it is really Pro stuffCheers!Michel

My preference - "My Plane" under 10K (weather and holds permitting).

Guest SD Sim

Hi Michel,I agree with you. All of my flights, particularly when learning how to fly a new arcraft, are flown manually. I use the KSAN to KLAX as my practice run. When I get comfortable (almost there with the ERJ 145), then I venture out of my home boundaries. Today I plan to make a KSAN to KSEA flight, with a stopover in SF. I just have a couple more runs to get better acquainted with the flight guidance controller. I really need this so that I have time to navigate (I have, but don't use, FSNav).

The PIC767 even smells like the real 767 cockpit :-lol

Thank you all for your helpful replies!

Another approach to seeing how it's done is'BOEING 777 London Gatwick-Atlanta'by Bruce Campion-SmithISBN 0-7110-2565-7.It's by no means a huge book, but it describes in great detail how the pilots prepare for the flight, and then the flight itself, explaining the roles of the crew, how they use checklists, flightplanning services and weather forecasts, how the operate the flight management systems and autopilot and how they communicate with ground staff and ATC. Transatlantic operations are being described, along with background information on traffic control and weather reporting, and the 777 itself. There is a listing of the actual flightplan with all waypoints and timings. It's not a tutorial of course, but a really nice overview of what's involved in a long trip.There are also videos that follow flightdeck operations, and packages that bundle an FS airliner with such a video (such as PSS Airbus) are available.But I have to agree with some of the other posts: 767 PIC is the most realistic still...