Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevchris

Losing the Glide Slope!!

Guest kevchris

Hello:I am hopeful that someone with more knowledge can help me with this question.Tonight I was making an ILS approach to RWY 28 in New Orleans. I was flying the PMDG 737-700. Everything was fine - I had captured the localizer and glide slope and was lined up to land. Suddenly, at about 1500 feet, I lost the glide slope, the nose of the plane went up and I was forced to disengage the AP and land the plane myself. However, my aircraft seemed to lose control and turn to the northwest. I ended up "landing" sideways like I was skidding across ice.Does anyone know why I would suddenly lose the glide slope when everything was going fine up to that point? After a nice 2 hour trip from Tampa, the ending was a bummer!Thanks for any information.Kevin

Guest kevchris

Randy -Very good possibility. I had disengaged the auto throttle also and was manually controlling the speed. I am not sure what my speed was when this happened. Can you tell me what my speed should have been to avoid a stall?Not being a pilot, I am not sure what the VREF is. Thanks for your helpKevin

look at the APP REF page for the VREF, you must CLICK THE RIGHT SIDE LSK (CDU BUTTON) next to the desired speed, Just choose the flaps 30 one ;). Better to leave the A/T ARMED with SPD DE-selected and you can control plus have stall protection like the real birdie ;) OR you can set the MCP SPD to VREF + 5 (if not windy) and the A/T will click itself off upon T/D ...[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Iz

I have also noticed this, where the aircraft simply stalls, even at VREF. (-700 w/o winglets) I have a VREF that's 119 knots at about 45 tonnes, but I find that speed unusable because it stalls about 25-30 knots above the red/black stickshaker band on the speed tape.

Guest Iz

Nope, no additional stuff, I have MS standard real-time weather with updates on.