Sign in to follow this  
Guest ILS

737-700NG - Nose not going down after touch down

Guest ILS

1. I'm setting up the final approach so that I have 18 miles stabilized flight down to the runway. Plane flying a perfect stable approach.2. It's doing the autoland.3. The the noses stays up for too long ( I suspect...). If the appr speed is 126 knots/30 flaps, the nose doesn move down until around 95 knots. Looking at the replay, it looks like the nose up position is in a kind of "freeze" mode.Any solution to this strange behaviour during the landing roll?ILS

You land with AP?Because no pilot does that in real life.I guess it is even not possible to land with AP

Guest JoakimE

Check this picture, http://www.airliners.net/open.file/444766/L/I was standing at roughly the mid-point of the runway, they landed pretty much perfect in the touch-down zone and still had the nose-gear up in the air when they passed me, the weather that morning was quite bad so it's quite believable that they did an autolanding and if so, the behaviour you described would be according to real-life? :)

Guest ILS

Well, perhaps it is normal what the 737 NG is doing? I'll run a few more landings and note the exact speeds. Or... perhaps the landing *you* watched was a landing where the pilot kept the nose too high too long.. Perhaps they came in a bit fast... Who knows. Nice photograph anyway that's for sure!What's a good way to verify what's "real" and what's not here? Any sites where one can view real 737NG landings that are full autolandings with 2xAP engaged and autoflare?ILS>Check this picture,>http://www.airliners.net/open.file/444766/L/>I was standing at roughly the mid-point of the runway, they>landed pretty much perfect in the touch-down zone and still>had the nose-gear up in the air when they passed me, the>weather that morning was quite bad so it's quite believable>that they did an autolanding and if so, the behaviour you>described would be according to real-life? :)XP 3.2GHzzzz

Yes ofcourse there are two AP connected by a autoland and flare mode.But by 300-500 FT AGL the APs are disc.And also the pilots will have nothing to do anymore, thats boring. :(Do you land with AP on?Ramon.

Guest ILS

Yes, landing the PDMG 737 NG with both autopilots engaged is supposed to allow you a full auto landing with flare.I'm doing it and it seems to work well. Except:a/ I think the nose stays up for a bit too long (not 100% sure about this one though). b/ And that the spoliers don't deploy all the time even when armed.c/ The autoflare is being done a bit fast, the pull back could be a bit smoother and it would look more realistic.ILS

Hi,do you use reverse thrust after touching down?I did some spotting at EDDF and noticed (to my surprise) that the pilots use reverse thrust right after the main gear touches down. This will definitely bring your nose down :-)Alex

Guest rvdlaak

In addition to arming the reverse thrusts i find that on landing - the A/T disengages but the FD is still active and by turning that off - the nose goes down almost immediately. I presume this is what cancels the two AP control over the plane. Whether it is the right way to do it IO do not know - it does work for me tho.hope this helps,cheers,Ronniehttp://ronnie.vandelaak.com/baw644.gif

Guest tmetzinger

>In addition to arming the reverse thrusts i find that on>landing - the A/T disengages but the FD is still active and by>turning that off - the nose goes down almost immediately. I>presume this is what cancels the two AP control over the>plane. Whether it is the right way to do it IO do not know ->it does work for me tho.>>hope this helps,>cheers,>Ronnie>>http://ronnie.vandelaak.com/baw644.gifThe sure way to disconnect the autopilot is to hit the autopilot disconnect bar.Even though the CMD A and B buttons are not lit during an autoland, the autopilot is STILL ACTIVE.Spoilers (if armed) and brakes (if armed) are automatic, but reverse thrust is not. So if you're nose is still in the air after an autoland, check to see if your brakes and reverse thrust are active.

The nose staying in the air is called aerobraking and I was amazed to see it happening in FS the first time I landed the NG - I've never seen another FS plane do it - usually the nose gear just slams right down along with the mains - definitely not what happens in real life...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest tmetzinger

>The nose staying in the air is called aerobraking and I was>amazed to see it happening in FS the first time I landed the>NG - I've never seen another FS plane do it - usually the nose>gear just slams right down along with the mains - definitely>not what happens in real life...It can be effective if you have enough runway, but if using brakes or autobrakes it's best to get the nose down, spoilers and reversers going, and transfer some of the energy absorption duties from the brakes to the engines and spoilers.Also, one has to be careful when aerobraking, when you run out of energy the nose can come down in a hurry. I don't know about transports but I know of one Citation incident where the nose was held up too long and slammed down, causing nose gear damage.