Sign in to follow this  

Real debonair emergency tonight!

Wow! Scary story.... I don't like big thunder clouds too much ;-) Certainly not when all kinds of things around you give up on you !! :-eekGlad you made it safe to home base, Geoff !! :-waveAlso glad to see you reckon FS 'training' helped.... that made the $ 70 more than worth it I believe ;-) :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Glad you sorted out the problem.It's good to tell ones own stories about real aviation, as it may help another who might get into a similar situation. I'm doing my PPL in the UK, and every bit of knowledge helps.Will

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Nicely done, Geoff. I'm glad everything worked out for you. Considering your daughter's abilities, I bet it was nice to have two pilots in the front seats at that time. :-)Take care and give the deb a pat for me. ;-)Regards,http://home.earthlink.net/~snyders2000/deb.jpg

Parking fees are usually nominal-in this case $6 a night. The trip was 3 1/2 hours each way-so burning 12 gallons/hr=84 gallons. Fuel at $2.50 or so=$210 round trip. Of course this is not the hourly rate of the aircraft which includes maintenence, hangar, annual, new engine in the future which I usually estimate to be $75/hr.Just looked up the commercial fair-$137 roundtrip-hard to ever beat that!http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Sounds not too bad. I guess the thrill of owning and flying the a/c will pay for the extra costs.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I'm glad it worked out, Geoff. Sounds like you had some CRM there as well! I've still to experience my first emergency, not something I'm looking forward to, but it's just a matter of odds and time, I'm sure!Bruce.BJC, Jeffco, CO

Wow, and to think I jsut saw this thread for the first time. Either way, its good to know you got out of it okay!Scott

>One thing I've learned-fly the airplane and take them one at a time!Glad you are alright Geof. As a pilot and Air Traffic Controler, that is what I've seen separate the "men from the boys, wheat from the chaff." :) Stay ahead of the aircraft, scope/pattern. Take things one thing at a time. I used to tell my tower trainees, "...work em one at a time. Thats how they land!"Best,bt