Sign in to follow this  
Guest jupiter87135

Simulation is choppy when using ActiveSky and FS METEO

Guest jupiter87135

Just started using the PMDG 737 and am impressed. I am an experienced Dreamflight 737-400 captain, but needed a new challenge.The capture and track of glideslope and localizer on approach is AWESOME with the PMDG model...100 percent better than the DF 737, and the autothrottle is equally impressive. Very well done, folks.Here's the problem I am having. When I load up the PMDG 737 (600 or 700) with either 2D or virtual, it functions wonderfully. However, when I go back out and load up either ActiveSky or FS METEO for weather generation and come back into the sim, it gets choppy and sticky. What is happening is that the display out the window as one is moving holds up for a few seconds before it starts moving again. I find this highly annoying. It can be totally clear or with clouds outside - doesn't matter - as long as either FS METEO or ActiveSky is on the problem occurs. This has NEVER happened with the Dreamflight 737.How do I fix this problem and make this otherwise wonderful airplane perfect to fly?Thanks much!

Hello, please use your real name on this forum, thank you. It is *advised* to not use add-on weather with the NG but not for the reasons you seem to be having. So your use of add-on weather is at your own risk. It sounds like the CLOUDS generated by AS and Meteo are causing a performance hit on your machine. Have you tried the freindly frame rate coulds offered on Avsim's library? You can get them here and will help GREATLY. http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=40507[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

I have had the same problem, also before SU1 was launched. I downloaded SU2 but did not try yet. I have FSMeteo and run it on a secondary computer. I noticed improvement when I changed FS2004 from a window mode to the full screen mode. This cured my choppy thingy. And indeed it only occured when FSMeteo was launched. Reading your message, it also seems to happen with ActiveSky.Maybe worthwhile for you to switch to full screen mode. It also increased the fps at my PC. One disadvantage: when FSNavigator is also running I notice a backfall from FSNavigator in response.Good luck

Guest jupiter87135

It happens without clouds, while completely clear, also. Clouds are not the issue. It is running METEO or ActiveSky, period, that is the issue. If it is the case that I cannot run METEO or ActiveSky with this software then it is highly unlikely that I will continue to use PMDG, unfortunately. I insist on using one of these programs to generate weather, as I am not impressed with Microsoft's weather generating capabilities. I guess I will have to go back to the DF737.My real name? When I signed up I gave it and a user name. It seems to be using the user name I gave...sorry. My name is Rick.

I solved that problem by running AS2004 on a separate machine networked using WideFS. No stuttering at all that way.As one of my old maintenance chiefs used to say: "Works great, lasts a long time..."Regards-... --- -... ... -.-. --- - -Hey Randy...I signed with my real name. Hope you can read Morse code...

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks Rick. One of the forum rules states that we must ALL use our name if we wish to participate on the PMDG forum, it's more personal. As to the add-on weather issues. It is beyond PMDG's control on how these add-ons throw winds at our A/P. The problem lies with those developers to make their prodocuts compatible. This A/P system is highly complex, hopefully someone will come up with a way for them to work in harmony otherwise we will continue to have many questions on why their NG keeps pitching up on approach and Alpha protection kicking in.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest bigun

If you are having sporadic pauses, then you can stop it by unchecking "Render to Texture" in your FS options menu. PMDG recommends against doing this but I have it unchecked and can't see where it hurt anything.

Guest jase439

Ditto. The setting of weather through the new weather interfaces of FSUIPC (which is what AS2004 and FSMeteo both use) causes considerable stuttering during an update (unless you happen to have a dual processor machine).Running AS2004 or FSMeteo over WideFS (if possible) is the way to go.

My question is why would you use both AS and FSMeteo at the same time? They both largely do the same thing. They are probably in a tug of war as we speak! :)Best,Bill

Guest BernBear

As Randy points out in another post, PMDG recommends to not use any weather add-ons (not sure about the reasons, being a PMDG newbie), but several AS2004 Beta testers were testing with the PMDG 737 (I bought the PMDG right after relase of AS2004) with no real issues.For me, the only consequence of PMDG's recommendation is that before I post any PMDG problems here on the forum or contact PMDG support, I verify that the problem is still there without AS. So far I have not seen any negative effects on the PMDG when using AS2004.The frame rate hit of AS2004 on my system (PIV 2.4 533FSB, 1GB PC2700 DDR-RAM, GeForce 4Ti 4400 128MB) is not very severe (I get a 2 to 3 fps drop, worst frame rate I have seen is 17fps). Things do slow somewhat with the number of clouds drawn on screen, but I have slightly tuned down details in FS9 (As per the PMDG tweaking FAQ), which greatly helped things. I am still using FS9 default clouds, but will test the high perfomance clouds that can be found in the AVSIm library)It might also help if you posted your system specs and maybe also post your question over in the AS2004 forum, there's plenty of folks there who use the PMDG 737 and AS2004 together who might be able to help get things tweaked just right.Best regardsMax (Bern, LSZB)ActiveSky 2004 Beta Team

Guest HansGroenewold

Hi Randy,Thanks for the tip about the frame rate friendly clouds. I downloaded the file, however, when I open the read me text with Notepad or Wordpad, there are no instructions. Can you give me the install instructions? I see that there are four folders within the main folder, can you tell me where they go? Do they go in the weather folder? Thanks for your help.Sincerely,Hans Groenewold

Guest HansGroenewold

Hi Randy,I forgot add this, I went to their web site and saw another file that I'm not sure about what it does. It's called the FPS and Fix V2, any idea what that does? That file also doesn't have any install instructions or am I missing something? Can this file be used with add on scenery?Thanks,Hans Groenewold

Guest presario

I've downloaded the friendly frame rate clouds and am using the DT3 clouds with render to texture on but I'm getting terrible flickering in the FS in particular the interior panel views flicker every few seconds. Any idea why this is? and second does anyone have the original cirrus and culumus clouds you where suppose to backup before you added these frame friendly ones... I have miss placed mine and want to get back to original settings.thanks so muchPresario

Guest jase439

Turn off Render to Texture in your display options.

Guest HansGroenewold

Can someone be kind enough to respond to my previous two posts asking a couple of questions so that I can get these two files installed. Thanks for your help.Sincerely,Hans Groenewold