Sign in to follow this  
Guest GW Norris

PMDG forces purchase of WinZip to unpack SU2

Guest GW Norris

Well as far as I'm concerned this is an outrageous example of software company coersion. I have been informed that in order to unpack my copy of SU2 I must use the latest version of WinZip ( 8.1 ). I use windows XP Pro and heve not had a problem unzipping any zip file untill SU2 came along. It will not open the SU2 zip file after 2 different downloads, I have emailed PMDG support about this and there response is that they used Winzip 8.1 to pack up the files and I must use the same version to unpack them. Winzip is payware at $29 . I paid $40 US to buy 737NG and now they say I must spend $29 US to unpack the update. I wonder if Winzip is giving them a cut of the sales of Winzip 8.1 in order for PMDG to make some money off the SU2 update. If windows XP won't unpack their zip file, then they can take their SU2 and stick it where the sun don't shine. Isn't it just a little strange that of the thousands of zip files I've downloaded and extracted. PMDG's is the ONLY ONE that WindowsXP won't unzip.GW Norris

Guest ba747heavy

People seem to think that there is only one file unzip utility in this world. Please. Just take a look around at download.com and tell me there isn't most than one. And most of them are free. Just search for ZipCentral(http://zipcentral.iscool.net/), which last time I checked was free and just as good as WinZIP or WinRAR.I am not directing the above frusterations at any one person, just my feelings in general about this situation :)BTW, I unzipped the PMDG SU2 file with XPs zip functions, not sure why you can't :-hmmm

Guest bigun

Yup. It's shareware. Free to use for a time. Certainly long enough to unzip SU2. If this is coersion between PMDG and WinZip, it sure doesn't look like it's going to be much of a "money maker" :) Let's see, 50% of nothing is,,,, nothing:)

Gary, I have the freeware version of WINZIP and unzip TONS of stuff all the time. Useally you can keep clicking that register message and it will allow you to unzip. I do not think your implication of a *deal* with the developers was warrented sir.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Your kidding, right Gary?? The reason that the latest version is required was because that was what was used to package the product.If you don't have Winzip on your computer then go to www.aladdinsys.com and get a free copy of stuffit expander to unzip your files. Had you simply sent your request to support I would have sent you this information. Paul Gollnick :-cool Technical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Guest GW Norris

Well Randy, I've already apologized to PMDG for the implication I made. Everyone has an opinion, Usually not many people can agree on many of them. Especially in public forums, that's what makes this a free country. As for Winzip and all those other utilities from the Windows 3.1 days, who should need them anymore ?? I've been downloading zip files and extracting there contents for years without needing a zip utility. If you've been using Winzip to unpack all your zips, maybe that explains why your not aware that you shouldn't have to with operating systems after Windows 3.1, but I guess some people feel they have to stick with old stuff because they are used to it.No harm intended, I just don't believe in sticking every utility on my computer, most of them are junk software, I keep a clean operating system and don't get any of the error messages and crashes and so on that alot of people on these forums get. No big deal to me. It's just one airplane and I am just one customer, I can live without PMDG 737, I apologize to all at PMDG for my remarkHappy Holidays

You know Gary, this is a forum for us users of PMDG's NG to come together for support and maybe to learn something from each other. People react different ways in the world. I was not the only one who read your accusation and felt the need to address it. You had the right to make your claim and I had the same right to reply. I see no harm in that as long as the end result in based upon the facts at hand and we keep a level head in doing so. As for me, I have windows Xp PRO and certainly know of the unzipping utility that comes standard with Windows XP but I perfer Winzip insted. If it upsets you that PMDG choose to distribute their product in a ZIP file then that is certainly your right and I have no beef with that, my concern was you making a claim that was wrong, nothing more and certainly not meant personal towards you as a person. As to your last comment, "It's just one airplane and I am just one customer, I can live without PMDG 737" I don't do the " blame others for my actions or choices" too well. Hopefully you will see this for what it is and enjoy your plane.... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest BernBear

ActuallyIt should work nicely, even with WinXP's built in ZIP function. Actually it does, just toook the SU2 file to the office, where I don't have Winzip installed and could unpack the archive with no trouble using WinXP Pro SP1.ZIP files are still pretty much standardized, so you should be able to open any .zip with any Zip Utility on the market. It won't be until Winzip 9 that Winzip is introducing a new, proprietary ultra compression. those files will only work with WinZip 9.Are you sure your file is not corrupt?Best regardsMax (Bern, LSZB)ActiveSky 2004 Beta Team

I used the the standard unzipping function that came with XP Pro and have had no problem unzipping anything from PMDG or anybody else for that matter. You shouldn't have to purchase anything to unzip a file. I suspect you have something wrong somewhere. John Fitzpatrick

Guest Fortress

>BTW, I unzipped the PMDG SU2 file with XPs zip functions, not>sure why you can't :-hmmm...and me, no worries.Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/cin.gifwww.bavirtual.co.uk/cin.htm - please give generously!!Officially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD XP2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig Crucial PC3200 DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy, 3 x WD Caviar SE[/p]

Guest Shaun48113

"No harm intended, I just don't believe in sticking every utility on my computer, most of them are junk software, I keep a clean operating system and don't get any of the error messages and crashes and so on that alot of people on these forums get."Obviously, you don't believe in researching a problem before screaming and moaning about it either. Your download is corrupt. There's no problem using the XP unzip utility to unzip ANY zip. A zip is a zip. :)-Shaun