Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dash8driver

Autoland killed me

Guest Dash8driver

Just completed a 5 1/2 hour flight from KSEA to PHOG. This is around the 15th flight I've completed over the last five days with the new V2 PMDG 737 and so far I must say it's GREAT! I'm an old 767 PIC and Dreamfleet 737 guy who moved over the the PMDG 737 about five months ago and am very impressed with their work. Anyway, after five and a half hours of open ocean I was finally cleard for an ILS approach and landing on rwy 02 in Maui. I normally like to hand fly the final approach but today thought I'd let the plane do all the work. I quickly captured the LOC and GS, set final approach speed and flaps, and the autopilot kept the needles nice and centered all the way down. Around 50 feet the power came back to idle but instead of rolling back into a nice flare, to autopilot shoved the nose into a steep dive torward the runway. I quickly grabed the stick and hit the autopilot diconnect but it was too late. The plane slammed onto the runway collapsing the gear and ending my flight. Five and a half hours, and the last five seconds killed me! I've never had an autoland behave like that. Any ideas???

Ryan... pity you got "killed". Maybe you want to try autosave.zip (by Pete Dowson). This little utility (it is in the library) saves you flight every minute or so... and when somehting goes wrong you can reload yr flight again from a position you had before...and you will have a second chance... good luck with yr flights..b rdgs Dick Riddersma