Sign in to follow this  
Guest Iz

737-700 Autoland pictures

Guest Iz

Hi everybody, I just thought you might enjoy these pictures I took last night while on the jumpseat of PH-XRZ, one of our newest -700s with three pilots (it was my turn to watch) and a low visibility autoland on runway 18R (the new runway, Polderbaan) at EHAM Schiphol.http://www.planetizzy.com/files/DSC09220.JPGHere we are at about 40 feet radio altitude with FLARE mode engaged.http://www.planetizzy.com/files/DSC09221.JPGAt just 6 feet RA with autothrottle in RETARD.Obviously with ISO200, F2.0 and 1/1.3sec exposure, it was very hard to get this picture razorsharp in a moving airplane with very low light, but I think they came out well.Enjoy!Iz

Nice pic.But i guess the pilots still hand-fly the aircraft in final because i dont see the APR push button on.And also note that the FD is switch off.Then there is no fun anymore if the aircrafts land totaly by itselfs???? Does it?Ramon.

Guest Mark McG

Iz,do you have the CATIIIB certified 737's, similar to what Easyjet have in their later delivered 737-700's.

Guest Mark McG

FD does not need to be on for on ILS. You have ILS deviation bars along the side and bottom of the PFD.The APR has changed to VOR LOC and FLARE Mode.

Guest Mark McG

Martin,Iz flies the 737-700 & 800 for Transavia of Holland.Until recently he flew the 757-200.

I got a question to for him.Do you realy dont use the stick to land the aircraft? Its all hapening by itself??Ramon.

Nice pics Iz, just shows what's possible with modern avionics.That viz looks very similar to a recent virtual flight took back into Luton and forgot to check viz conditions :-)I was amazed, and releived that the PMDG 737 did a perfect single channel auto-land :-)

Guest Andrew Potts

easyJet don't have cat 3b 700's. If they have, no one told me, nor trained me!! All our -300's and -700's are 3a.On a techy note, notice how transavia use Flap 30. We have only recently been allowed to use Flap 30, previously it was 40 only, owing to the better visability it offers.Iz, nice pics! Don't you just love EHAM.....

Guest Andrew Potts

Right to the point where the wheels touch the runway, then you disconnect and do the rest yourself. That's why you need 125m viz, so you can see the runway centreline!

Guest Mark McG

Andrew,The info I got for Cat 3B came from a discussion thread on pprune that said Easyjet were getting the Cat3B mods with the later delivered 737-700's. Chris Brady's site has some details of the Cat3B capabiltieshttp://www.b737.org.uk/flightinsts.htm

Guest rellehenk

Wow, great shotsThe real cockpit is so beatifull at night :DI see that the RA is displayed in orange below "FLARE". Is this a customer option? I prefer it over the PMDG standard where the RA is displayed on the Artificial Horizon :)

Could be a dumb question (it is XMas) but is the missed approach altitude really only 1500'?

Guest Mark McG

Dean,I have just looked at the Jeppessen Charts for EHAM.It varies between 1500 and 2000ft depending on the runway in use.