Sign in to follow this  
NWATech

Anyone know of a Site that explains how to Repaint Plan

Guest HeavyFan

Hi guy's! I'm looking to learn how to Paint planes for FS! I was looking for a sit that has info on what i need and how to do it?? I want to make planes for me or if anyone else wants it if I learn how to do it?? I really just want to learn how to paint planes so I can use them as Ai Traffic with project Ai planes! So I can take out the POSKY planes as Ai since they make my FPS come way down when there area lot of them on the ground!! So PLEASE if anyone know where a site is that explains this process of repainting planes i would apprecite the info! Thank's MIKE-:)

Much depends on the tools at your disposal. You needat least Paintshop Pro and preferrably Photoshop. Try my site, www.aluminumcloud.com for a tutorial onhow to skin airplanes using Photoshop. The tutorialis geared toward CFS2 but virtually all of the techniquesapply to FS2002 as well.RegardsEric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

If you want any help doing them with paint shop then you can Email me anytime for help.Alpha just use the email link on the forum :-)

Guest HeavyFan

Thank's guy's for the Info! So I need the Paint Shop Program to paint planes?? I don't have anything except MS Paint which came with my Windows ME, on my DELL comp. Oh well i guess i half to spend money to paint planes for myself, so it won't be free after all! LOL-:),So how much do these programs cost?? If it is real expensive i guess i should just forget about it, as I don't want to spend alot of money on a program that i don't know if i will perfect using it or bomb out on the paiting after i purchase it? Any other suggestions on what to use? Thanks MIKE.

Guest Heather 636

Thanks for those links Eric and Frank. Been wanting to give a go at this myself but after that first time effort with my DC-3, I have learned that there is SO MUCH that I don't know. Glanced at your links and will definitely be reading up.I do have a couple of questions regarding rights. I would also like to say in advance that anything I do come up with, if, I have absolutely no intention of profiting by it. Anyuthing I do for the AVSIM community will be freeware.One of my questions comes up out of my worry over using a pin-up girl on my Heather's Air Charter" Livery. This was one of the many girls painted by Alberto vargas back in the 1940's. I have seen his work all over the place, many of which I highly doubt ever got permission. I don't even know if he is still alive. Can I get in trouble for using that sort of artwork? My brother has a very large collection of this type of artwork.I guess the same would apply toward my second question, airline liveries. Do you have to get their permisiion or anything to be able to use their logos or motifs. After what happened with my previous misunderstanding upon releasing Heather's Air, I ABSOLUTELY do not want this kind of trouble again. I have a heart condition and can't afford that kind of stress.Cheers!Heather

Guest SD Sim

Hi Heather,I must state at the outset that I don't know the "right" answer to your question. However, having said that, I will say that when in doubt, try to ask for permission as best you can. Your savvy with the internet, so start there. See if you can find a representative for the item in question (such as a Vargas painting) and explain what you plan to do. I suspect that in most cases not involving profit, there won't be a problem. As a general rule, just do your best to avoid violating copyrights. There are a few lawyers that peruse this forum, and they can probably provide a more definitive answer :-wave

Guest HeavyFan

Thank's Frank for the Link! I will read up on it! Appreciate it! MIKE-:)

If you don't want to spend any money at all you can download and use the freeware paint program GIMP (available for just about any platform around -- obviously you'll need the Windows version).While some people complain about it I find it very stable to use (then again, I have only tested it out and not used it for production -- I'm a Photoshop man from way back). It is extremely well-featured and will do just about anything you need from a paint program, assuming you're willing to live with its idiosynchroncies (it betrays its Unix origins).

Heather, I'm pretty sure the Vargas paintings are protected under various intellectual property agreements as are the liveries of airlines. I've done a little looking around in various VA sites that copy real airlines and it seems that almost all (American may be the only sour puss in the bunch) don't care if you use their paint schemes. After all, it is a form of free advertising for them. And I'm sure their legal departments have more important things to do than to go after simmers. A request to the airlines legal department for permission would be the most prudent course, and the same thing would be true for the Varvas estate. But, in the real world, I highly doubt that they would care, or even know. about it.Bob

Guest Heather 636

Thanks Bob. As i have learned the hard way, one can't be too careful.Heather

Hey Mike, You want to paint planes, go and get this it is totally free still. www.gimp.org The name of it is GIMP. I have not used it , I have always used Photoshop, but I here nothing but positive feeback about it. Go get it and give it a go. Good luck.

http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d2111b51c5506f6.jpgJay....:-waveNWA Line Maintenance KDFW NW KLM WORLDWIDE RELIABILITY

Guest HeavyFan

Thanks THere JAY!! That program looks good! Which one do I download?? The regular one or the one made for Windows?? I apprecite your help! Thought this thread went to the archives already!! HAHA guess not! thanks MIKE-:)

I assume you are using Win. So go to the Documentaion page and then to the Installation Help. It takes a little effort to get set-up but it is worth it. GIMP is at the Photoshop level, it will give you much better results than some of the lower cost paint software. There will be a bit of a learning curve. I also have this other link for a freeware paint prog.

http://www.ab.wakwak.com/~knight/ I have not used it, and know little about it.
http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d2111b51c5506f6.jpgJay....:-waveNWA Line Maintenance KDFW NW KLM WORLDWIDE RELIABILITY