Sign in to follow this  
Guest lbb

Help! Can't get out of ENG OUT page

Guest lbb

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the ENG OUT page is modelled. However, I was less than pleasantly surprised to find that I couldn't get out :-)In my Boeing manual it says that you can either simply look at he page or actually select it as active, and even if you have done so the usual ECON etc. prompts are there to get back if you change your mind.Anyway, since my curiosity had already gotten me into trouble I decided to make the best of it and actually shut down one engine to make an emergency landing at ELLX. Sadly, it ended with a rather interesting display of the GPWS system a few hundred feet short of the threshold :-)But while going over my options I realized once more how nice it is to have an ND with only airports with runways of over 6,000 feet. And I also liked the fact that the HYDR warning I got after shutting down the engine disappeared when I pulled the fire handle. It's details like that that make you realize how much there is to this sim!All in all an impressive experience!Leo Bakker

Guest lbb

To find out why I made such a mess of my one engine out landing I went through all the manuals that I have and stumbled upon some more information regarding the ENG OUT page.To prevent RW pilots from falling into the same trap, my Boeing FCTM for Classic and NG has this to say:"ENG OUT cannot be executed on FMC update 10.0 and beyond.... This will display MOD ENG OUT CRZ and the FMC will calculate engine out target speed and maximum engine out altitude.... Entering the new cruise altitude and airspeed on the ECON CRZ page will update the ETA's and T/D predictions. Fuel predictions are not based on engine out data and should be ignored."For the latter you'd have to refer to tables in the QRM.It also warns NOT TO EXECUTE the page on updates prior to 10.0, because from there on hardly anything will work in the FMC.Since the PMDG FMC is U10.4 I would like to see the 800/900 fitted with this piece of nosey pilot proof software :-)Leo Bakker

Way ahead of you Leo. I believe that after U10.3 that one can *view* the EO pages even with both engines running and it NOT inhibit VNAV like is currently modelled. Problem being that I have got got any clear answers from pilots on this and Bill Bulfer has not responded back to me......Any 737 pilots here who care to comment on software U10.3 and above on EO pages?[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest lbb

Well, what exactly is the question? I do have U10.3 info in my manuals, both AOM and FCTM, if that might be of any help.Leo Bakker