Sign in to follow this  
w4fej

Brown nosing time and a question

Well I finally had a chance to play with the update and am I ever loving it. The flight director is terrific!! I finally have a FD that I can actually fly an ILS approach using the FD cues and not wind up somewhere other than the airport! Amazing. An answer to one of my other posts solved the multi monitor problem nicely. Seems the panel select icons do someting that multi monitors don't like. A gent suggested using the keyboard to select the overhead and then undock it and drag it off and that works perfect?? PMDG, you might look at that although it is easy to work around... Love the new sounds, much nicer and I see now we have a volume control for the warnings etc.. Nice touch. And KEYBOARD commands. RIGHT ON !!!. Now I can re-program my JetLiner console to operate the plane... cool.... Thanks for that one... Now the question: The little circle (not sure of the proper name for it) on the ADI appears to be similiar to the "trend" vector in fighters. Is that what it is and if so how is it supposed to be used?? Do I chase the vector with the FD crosshairs or what?? Can't wait to see how you top this NG, but I'll bet the 747 does !! Keep up the good work.. Mike B.

"The little circle (not sure of the proper name for it) on the ADI appears to be similiar to the "trend" vector in fighters. Is that what it is and if so how is it supposed to be used??" It's called the FPV (Flight Path Vector), Mike. It shows the inertial path of the aircraft. If you fly with the FPV symbol (say) 3 degrees below the horizon (horizontal dividing line on your artificial horizon), your aircraft will fly a perfect 3 degree glide path. This is completely different from putting the aircraft symbol 3 degrees below the horizon line...which will result in a somewhat steeper descent in most cases)."Do I chase the vector with the FD crosshairs or what??"I may have to hand you over to the experts here.... I can't think how the two could be used in conjuction with each other. Normally you would keep the airplane symbol on the FD crosshairs. My first impression is that you would get into lots of problems if you tried to keep the crosshairs on the FPV (if it was even possible to do this).Cheers.Ian.

Guest Iz

Nope, that's totally impossible, unless you're doing zero-g flight and it's quite hard to sustain that for a long time.The FPV is useful only for pitch flying and only give a hint of where you're going in lateral aspect. Since there's no scale on the ADI for compass degrees, you really don't have a good indication of your wind drift angle, only the direction.But indeed, for flying a 3-degree glide path, it's useful, and I find it especially useful when doing single engine work. By keeping the FPV above the horizon during climbout and acceleration, you know you're not descending.

Guest Iz

Indeed, I partook in an experiment with that feature in a research simulator, where also new features like the vertical situation display was implemented. It was an experiment here in The Netherlands which incorporated a FANS environment (no ATC/next generation TCAS etc). Quite cool.Iz

Guest skyrider

I too have been wondering about the proper use of the FPV & would make the following comments:-Purely for comparison purposes, I have taken a look at an Airbus PFD, which also has an FPV, ("bird,") option. On this aircraft, when the FPV is selected into view, the normal FD bars, which are based around the aircraft symbol, disappear from view, to be replaced by the Flight Path Director, (FPD,) based around the FPV.Just wondering whether the 737 should also have this director to complete the display when using FPV?Doug