Sign in to follow this  
Henni

A few questions befor buying:

Hello captains,I am planning to buy the CD-Version of the PMDG 737, which will hopefully be out at Jan 15th (read that at aerosoft.de)But before I do so I would like to have a few questions answered:1.)If I buy the CD-Version, will I be able to add the 800/900 upgrade via download or do I have to wait for the CD-release upgrade?BTW What will the 800/900 ugrade add? Any release date known?2.) Does the FMC features missed approach procedures and RNAV appr. mode?3.) How detailed are the systems simulated? (Can work with the abnormal procedures or are the buttons just for the dummy effect?)[i sometimes have the impression using the SSW Airbus (compared with my good old 767PIC]4.)I only have a 56k internet connection, so I want to avoid buying the CD version and one week later to download a 50MB patch, so are there any plans for a future patch, so I should better wait for?ThanksHenrik

1] The 800-900 will not be a patch. It is it's own product. Some folks with 56K have trouble downloading and others do not. The 800-900 will add TCAS (Hopefully weather radar), compact EFIS DUs and much more FMC options like OFFSET and SOFT CONSTRAINTS. 2] Yes3] It is ahead of PIC 767 if that tells you anything4] There will be no 50 meg patch, if there happens to be a smaller patch it will not be anywhere near that size. So I would get the CD version if that is a concern.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

"3] It is ahead of PIC 767 if that tells you anything"I don't want to ruffle too many feathers here, Randy, but...Exactly which systems are we talking about here? PMDG may excel in certain areas, but I would say PIC has a better overall mastery of its respective/unique/complex airplane systems (IMHO). Recent SU2 modifications have bridged a few of the gaps, but, I say this even taking these mods into consideration.I've restrained myself from commenting on these issues in public, but if you are not giving a complete picture at the expense of another excellent sim, well.... I think it's time I stopped restraining myself. Comparisons are usually discouraged by most sites, so I don't think it is right that you, a PMDG representative (officially or otherwise), should comment (in public) especially when a comparison was not asked for by a potential purchaser. I, personally, am very happy with PIC's modelling of aircraft systems and probably will be even happier with PIC2's (in some areas PIC is even better than PS1). Having said that, if I am ever able to download the latest version of SU2 on my 56K modem, I'm sure I will give praise to PMDG where praise is due.I'm quite willing to discuss with you, in private, the relative merits of these sims... probably to the extent that you may even want to consider retracting your statement on aircraft systems. I realize that you support PIC when you visit their site, but as it is usually not at the expense of PMDG's sim (as you still fly your PMDG signature "flag") I was very surprised to read this latest comment of yours. Perhaps you are taking some of PIC's systems for granted because they work so well?Hope you (and the PMDG management) understand my POV. Regards.Ian.P.S. By "systems", I mean Hydraulics, Aircon/Pressurization, Pneumatics, Brakes, Electrics, Flight Controls (including trim), Engines (including indications), AFDS, EICAS, EFIS, FMC and other navigation systems. I don't mean display graphics, outside views, VC stuff, etc.

Well you are welcome to voice your opine as am I, I think this 737NG is well beyond PIC in many ways like descents for one, others would be LVL CH, VNAV, FMC is more complete (Even without soft constraints). PIC just does not do these as well as stated by the real 737 pilots on our team amounst others. These are facts not just some empty statements and are not out of place. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

And I want to make something very clear here. I do not work for PMDG, I just beta test, that is all. I speak my opinion just like everyone else. I have no rule book other than the forum rules and saying what I feel is not against any rules. People are welcome to take what I say or leave it, simple really eh? When PMDG have issues with my posts I am sure they will let me know....[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Paul Heaney

As for the 767PIC, It's HARD for me to see it complete, when it doesn't work for FS9. I Mean, how long has this product been out, and they've still not fixed it. PMDG was on the Ball.Many people, including myself, would like to switch completely to FS9. I Don't even have FS2002 Installed. Sure would be nice to have 1 game only, instead of having 2, because you need another couple Gigs taken up because of 1 aircraft.My opinions only.

Sorry guys,did not want to start a competition between add-ons.I think the PMDG support forum is not the right place for that, if I want to do so there are other places!Just wanted to know from some users how deeply the systems are modelled. My conclusions are:1. FMC: The functionallity of the FMC is almost complete2. Systems: The main systems are simulated, although some not as complex as in 767PIC (could I get that a bit more detailed)3. Upgrades/Patches: If I buy the CD-version, I can get the download version of 800/900 Add-on (Hope to have DSL then)Is that right?GreetingsHenrik

Guest JonSkiffington

I don't want to encourage any sniping at either product, but I will say that I've been flying 767PIC for many years now, and I love it. It's got a really good FMC, great simulations of systems, and "feels" right. The graphics are a bit dated, but the new functionality they're bringing out for V2 sound phenomenal.That being said, I have A) Been dissapointed in many flight sim addons after being spoiled by 767PIC and PS1, and :( Was not overly impressed in the past with PMDG's offerings for the Fly! series. However, I have been quite happy with the detail and performance of the 737NG. Its FMC is pretty respectable, as is it's system simulation. Personally, I don't think they're at the level of PIC, but it's pretty darn close. The plane looks great, especially the gauges, which most definitely blow the non-modified PIC displays out of the water. The exterior model is great, too, though I must say I don't fly much from outside the plane. =)All in all, it's worth the purchase, especially now that SU2 is out.Jon (KSEA)

Guest airbusguy

Hi Randy can you email me at airbusguy@hotmail.com so I can ask you a few questions.Thanks