Sign in to follow this  
DAL488

Airspeed tape dropping to Zero (or 45??)

Hi Folks:I know this has been discussed before: the airspeed tape will drop to zero, resulting in an annoyance and autothrottle issues for several seconds until it indicates correctly again.I, like many others, just assumed that the problem was related to ising and that the PMDG probe heat switched may not be correctly linked to the FS9 pitot heat.However, today I experienced the issue in clear sky at FL280. I didn't bother turning on anti-ice (probe heat was already on of course), and I just waited. Sure enough it cleared after a few seconds.My concern is that this was in clear conditions, unlike the other times which were in clouds. This seems to be a regular occurrence for me, on just about every flight.And yes, I do use AS2004.An ideas?BTW, I saw that some folks turned icing off. I can't figure how to do that in FS9 or FSUIPC.Thanks,James

Guest ba747heavy

Are you using real world weather perchance?

I'm fairly certain this is due to random periods of severe icing implemented in FSUIPC. I was able to duplicate the zero-airspeed event several times while monitoring the wx data being supplied by FSUIPC, and every time it happened FSUIPC reported severe icing. The icing level will drop from severe after a short time (usually), explaining why application of engine A/I wasn't needed to fix the problem.The drop in indicated airspeed will totally dork the checklist sequencing in Flight Deck Companion...so I leave random icing disabled in FSUIPC.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, D.C.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest Hagar

I have random icing turned off. But the problem persists using AS2004.

>I have random icing turned off.Ditto. I also have random icing turned off.Interestingly enough, someone in the Active Sky forum reports the same issue with the PSS A320.So, maybe this is an AS2004 issue like is mentioned above!?!James

Guest Hagar

It never happens with MS online weather, only with AS2004 with online updates enabled. I have not tried offline yet. The NG`s FMC Progress Page2 is a nice instrument to monitor the winds. I`ve had it up the moment the PFD freezes with 45 knots and red barberpole all the way, but there are NO changes on the RTE2, nor on the ND winds. This ghost is very stealthy.BTW I guess some addon planes might be more sensitive to things than the default planes, but AS2004 is also new on the market, and more research is needed before drawing any conclusions...things like experiencing the same thing with the default planes...not exactly my speciality :)

I've had the same problems my self. Always happens on climb out. But on my last flight I started the default Cessna first to shut down all the system to get a cold and dark situation. I turned on the pitot heat before switching to the PMDG NG, and on that flight the problem didn't occur at all, so it might be a coincident but it could also maybe be that the PMDG panel won't turn on the pitot heat properly.

Made an interesting discovery last night: the FS9 pitot heat will NOT turn on in the PMDG 737.I decided to add the default 737 pitot heat switch to the PMDG panel. This way, I could ensure that pitot heat was turned on. But after installing the switch, I found that the switch refused to stay in the ON position; it was like it was spring-loaded to the OFF position. I also tried the Shft-H key combo, but the switch just jumped right back to OFF.Anyway, maybe this explains why I still have the IAS dropping to zero: pitot heat is not really on.However, I do believe this is related to AS2004. I don't ever remember having this issue with FSMeteo 6.4.James

BTW, someone in the AS2004 forum explained that he had the same problem with the PSS A320. However, after turning on pitot heat (shft-H), he hasn't had the problem since.So, once again, I'm of the opinion that if we were able to actually turn on FS9 pitot heat in the PMDG 737, this issue would be solved.James

Guest Ray CYYZ

I saw this last night when flying up north (as in WAY up north). I am running a clean FS9 + PMDG install, nothing else added. It also glitched the panel causing the center instruments to become black holes. Night lighting on when it happened. Changed panel lights off then on and it was fixed.Ray

No, guys, flight sim's internal pitot heat is indeed set to 1 when either or both of the PMDG 737's probe heat switches are selected on, and the FS engine anti/ice is also correctly toggled with the panel's engine A/I switch. I monitored both using FSUIPC.This is more than likely an FS and/or AS2004 issue. I suspect that in FS when severe icing is encountered, even probe heat isn't enough to save the day. We need to make sure AS can be prevented from throwing severe icing levels in on us.I too have seen some strange anomalies with night lighting...latest was a few minutes ago when there was some obvious masking of parts of the overhead panel. Undocking and redocking the O/H were enough to fix it. If a zero A/S event is accomanied by obvious program misbehavior, well then it's a horse of a different color. The times I've seen zero IAS, it was the only thing affected...and 100% of those events I monitored (three or four total) with program tracing were a direct result of random severe icing coming in via FSUIPC's weather interface.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington. D.C.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Bob:Are you using FSUIPC's logging feature to see what's going on? If not, what exactly in FSUIPC are you looking at?Thanks,James

James; I have a home-grown trace utility that I use to peer into the inner workings of FS (via FSUIPC and WideFS so it runs external to the FS "server" PC). The FSUIPC logging feature will work for this purpose as well.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, D.C.