Sign in to follow this  
Dick

can winglets be fitted afterwards ?

have been flying with the beautiful Aloha livery (by Martin "Hollywood"). This aircraft (N748AL) has winglets. Did a search on the history of this aircraft and found that it originally flew in Argentina but without winglets...and only later joined Aloha ..with winglets.... pictures of the aircraft with and without winglets exist..my question.. can winglets be retrofitted ?Is the difference in (fuel) performance modelled in PMDG ?thanks / b rdgs Dick Riddersma

I got a magazine from my grandpa (ret. pilot) and it had a huge article about Boeing being able to fit them with winglets.

Guest nausea

The earlier 738' was retrofitted with winglets for some companies, they had an other type of wing. In Holland Transavia was looking into it, but didn't due to the fact it is very expensive to change and that those wings are the new stiffer ones. On those wings it doesn't make that much difference in (less) fuel consumption and so no need for to change, maybe when you would fly only the long distances with them it could be wise. John

Guest Dprz

Southwest Airlines is going through a major retrofit of all of our 737-700's to add Aviation Partners Winglets to our fleet When the aircraft goes in for inspections, the winglets are being installed. The aircraft is usually out of service for about a week. Some of our deliveries from Boeing are being flown to Everett WA. where BF Goodrich Aerospace is installing the winglets. The remainder of the fleet already in service are being accomplished by either Southwest mechanics in Dallas, or out-sourced to San Antonio Aerospace in Texas. The modifications started in late October 2003, and as of today 1 Jan 2004, Southwest has about 17 aircraft flying with winglets and another 4-5 in the process of being modified. Southwest is estimating a fuel savings of over 90,000 gallons per aircraft in one year. I hope this answers any questions that you may have. If you look on Airlines.net, there are many pictures of the modified airframes. Derek P.