Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pittsburgh

Wind predicitons

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi All, Am finally getting around to play with the "new" NG. I am very facinated with the wind predictions you can enter. However, I have noticed that it is impossible to put predictions on waypoints that are part of your selected DP or STAR. Is that correct or am I make mistakes along the way? Also, on the FORECAST page for the approach, what altitudes would it make sense to enter wind predictions for?Thanks,Boaz

Guest lbb

Hi Boaz,In my Boeing manual it says that you can't enter winds in any non-cruise waypoints in the Route Data pages, so that part of the behaviour is modelled correctly.It also says that a keyboard entry on the Route Data page propagates to all down path cruise waypoints (deleting the predictions that came from the PERF INIT page), which I don't see happening in PMDG, so that would be a limitation of the current model.As far as altitudes for the FORECAST page go, again in my Boeing manual it says that VNAV calculations for descent assume wind speed decreasing with decreasing altitude. I'm not sure if this is modelled in the PMDG737, but recently when doing some VNAV tests with the same wind for all altitudes I simply used the cruise altitude and 5000 feet and I worked like a charm. Otherwise, I would probably use cruise, and 2/3 and 1/3 of cruise.The question is of course, where do you get the right wind predictions for all these altitudes :-)Leo Bakker

....FSMeteo gives you wind-predictions at every METAR station enroute at different altitudes AGL. regards Roar Kverneng