Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

FSVavigator contra FSBuild ??

Hi everybody!I would be very glad to here some comments on choosing a flightplanner. I've got FSNav 4.60 but have heard that FSBuild should be better regarding more realistic flightplans. Can anybody confirm this "roumor". Kind RegardsLars Frederiksen - DK

Hi Lars,I stopped using FSNavigator a little while back so I cannot do a comparison, However I am a "solid" user of FSBuild. FSBuild version 2 provides so many options to build a solid flight plan. You can use the autogenerate function to get a quick flight plan, or use the stored flight plan function to hundreds of city pairs. The function I like in the USA is the FAA prefered routes. This is a long list of routes that the FAA uses and provides some interesting routing that I would have never picked, but are direct. FSB's FAA window provides the routing, you just plug it into the FSB route window and the program builds all the waypoints, SID/STARS and off you go. All of which is loaded into the PMDG FMC if you select it.Once a routing is selected, FSB will then build the route along with a VERY accurate fuel plan to match that route. Using a PMDG data set added to FSB, the fuel plan for the NG is right on. I could write a book, about how good this program is. If you have questions, Ernie Alston will spend as much time as needed to assist you. This is additional to a excellent user manual.This is one SUPER program, highly recommend you try it with the PMDG 737NG.Bob JohnsonDenver, CO

Guest jumpjet

HiI certainly believe that FSBuild 2 is the superior flightplanner, though FSNav is good too. FSBuild is more flexible, and exports in many formats.The main point for me, is that FSB can handle airways, whereas FSNav does not. FSNav will show airways on it's map, but you cannot use them to plan a route directly. For example in this typical route EGLL-BUZAD-T420-TNT-R3-WAL-B3-KELLY-EGNS enter this into FSB and it accepts it as is, no changes required. In this example, the airways T420, R3, and B3 are recognised by FSB. So when you build this plan and export it to say the PSS Airbus or PIC767 (for example), then all the waypoints that make up the above airways are automatically entered into the plan.To do this with FSNav, you would have to visually follow the airway on the map, and manually enter all the waypoint along the airway into the flightplan, or at very least the waypoints where the airway changes direction, then export it to the aircraft of your choice. This can be a real pain for a long trip.Don't get me wrong, I like, and have both FSNav and FSB2. Since I bought FSB2, I have have not used FSNav for planning.So I plan all my flights with FSB2, and when flying have FSNav running with the flightplan displayed (exported from FSB). I like FSNav's moving map, and when on VATSIM I use FSNav's multiplayer option to help keep an eye on the traffic around me, a bit like a TCAS.I recommend both, but am biased towards FSB for planning.CheersGraham UK

Guest pagotan

Hi Lars,Have a look at this recent post http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...33777&mode=full. I think it was originally posted two days ago. It addresses your very specific question. By thw way I am sure there are dozens of posts in this and other forums which review the pros and cons of both applications. I encourage you to use the Search function of the Avsim forum it is extremely powerful and rewarding.DISCLAIMER:The above reflects only a personal opinion and was written without any intend to offend, harm or criticize in any way or manner any individual, institution, association or company including PMDG.Michael

Thank you for your answers. After reading all this I think I will give FSBuild a try. The picture I have right now is as follows: - FSNav is an OK flightplanner and a very fine visual tool for the flights, but lacks a little in reality concerning routplanning, especially High altitude airways. From my own FSNav and from the screenshots I've seen from FSBuild there is no doubt that FSNav offers the best maps (they seems more precise and accurate).- These High altitude airways is recognized by FSBuild, which offer wind/weather possibilities too.These two programs somehow seems to be complementary to each other.Kind RegardsLars Frederiksen

Guest rcarlson123

I have been using FSNav exclusively, but Graham's post just sold me on FSBuild. The fact that it has a stored database of FAA preferred routes, support airways in your route, and can export to FSNav (so I can still use it's moving map and VATSim traffic tracking features) means I'm going to go buy a copy right now!

Guest jumpjet

Hi RossI don't think you you will regret buying it. I have used it for ages, but have barely scratched the surface of it. I keep discovering or reading about different functions or ways to do things.I know you have your own excellent fuel planner for the PMDG 737, but FSB has one too, for all sorts of aircraft including the 737NG. If you use FSMeteo or ActiveSky 2004, then you can build a plan, run it through the weather program, then build it again (press a button), then the winds are incorporated into the fuel planner/flightplan.FSB can also download the daily North Atlantic Tracts and Pacific Tracks. If you get the (monthly?) VATSIM NAT's file, that can be added to FSB.The current version of FSB2 is 2.1, if you use AS2004 weather, then you can ask Ernie for version 2.2, and he will email it to you. The ONLY difference between 2.1 and 2.2, is that 2.2 allows you to use AS2004 as your weather program.Anyway...... I won't bore you anymoreEnjoyGraham