Sign in to follow this  
Guest zimmerbz

Help with landings...

Guest zimmerbz

Lately I have been having trouble with my manual landings. Im not sure if it is a bug in the NG or if is because of pilot error. Everytime I disconnect AP on final, the bird wants to go right. I have posted about this, but have not gotten any response to why this could be. Any ideas yet? Anyway, I manually fly down from about 18000 using FD. I turn to intercept localizer when it is alive with flaps 5 and speed 180. I make small corrections with the controls to keep her on the localizer. Yet no matter how small I try to keep the corrections, i find it very hard to keep it on the localizer. I use aielerons and rudder to try to keep it stable, but by the time I am at about 1500 i either put it back to AP or it crashes. I usually have localizer and glideslope centered at some point during the approach, yet somehow I always manage to get off the approach tracking. Winds are usually calm or a good headwind. If I have a crosswind, I'll usually do a single APP mode with the AP on just for safety until about MM. Any pointers to this? What could i be doing wrong and how can i improve? ThanksBrad ZImmer

Guest Andrew Potts

Maybe...Don't ever use the rudder in the airReduce your control sensitivitiesGet your speed spot onCan you follow the F/D?When "it" crashes (sorry boss, IT crashed) :) how does it crash? Follow the F/D to 20', cut thrust and pitch up a couple of degrees. Might not be great, but you shouldn't crash! Make sure your Vref is set correctly (for your weight) and that you fly Vref+5 until you cut the thrust.Practice in still air, flaps 30, nice day, long runway. For training, I'd start at a platform of 3000' AAL, at FL5 speed. At G/S intercept, put the gear down and go to FL15 and FL15 speed. As soon as you're at FL15 speed, set FL30 and Vref+5. When the A/P and A/T are stable, disconnect both and fly manually, using the F/D. Watch your pitch and your speed. Pitch 50%, speed 30% and lateral devn 20%.Report back!

First, IMHO landings are an art, not a science :-) ! I spend a lot time in the RW doing nothing but pattern work practicing landings!That being said, I have a few of other items I would add to Andrew's suggestions which could help stack the deck in your favor!To Andrew's point, make sure you have no wind, no clouds, and it is daytime (no weather)! You can add weather once you get the hang of it.It is very important to get the aircraft stable on the approach. Only small control inputs should be needed to keep her lined up. If you are "Mashing" the stick around, this is a symptom of not having the aircraft stabilized. Be sure to use the pitch trim to help. Use power to control altitude and pitch to adjust airspeed. Again, only small changes should be needed. Make a small change and then wait a moment to let the aircraft stabilize under the new change (wait until the aircraft is stable before making another change). I would recommend using VREF+15 until you are comfortable with the approach. Make sure you follow the flap schedule appropriately. You may want to try only going with Flaps 30. As long as you have the runway length, no problem in using it up for practice! For your first few attempts, get her slowed down and configured at least by the outer marker. This should give you plenty of time to stabilize before touchdown. Again, being stabilized on the approach is key to ensure you are only making small pitch and power adjustments.Once you have made the runway, power to idle and use pitch to flare and begin bleeding off airspeed. The NG is great on a flare and if you nail your airspeed she will settle real nice onto the runway.Ensure your joystick is calibrated properly. Also ensure that you have all of the FSUIPC settings setup (see other posts and FAQ's).Finally, make sure your throttle is controlling both engines, if you are only adding thrust to the left engine, this could cause the problem you are describing.Once you can