Sign in to follow this  
Guest KevinShea

PMDG with RC question

Guest KevinShea

I just got done flying my first flight with RC and PMDG and I have a question. As I was flying into MDW I was trying to tune my radios and it seemed that the ability to tune the radios was disabled or not working some how. I would open the radio panel and try to use the mouse to tune the frequency and nothing would happen. In addition, a few of the other common buttons I use were not working like P to pause the sim and Shift-Z to check frame rates. When I pushed the P button it would engage the CWS A function of the autopilot and when I pushed the Shift-Z combo it would increase my MCP altitude by 100 feet.Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a way to prevent it. It is mighty hard to fly an ILS without the proper frequencies tuned on the radios :( Thanks,Kevin

Kevin-This is not the first time i've heard of this problem. Our own Bob Jones has had this problem crop up on him- and we've yet to figure out the cause.We are relatively certain that the problem is related to some piece of information that FS9 has created and stored for it's own use...The question that we cannot yet answer is: "What piece of information?"The other question we are trying to answer is: "Why?"I'm preparing a more comprehensive post on the topic of FS9 lockups for the very near future. I've been conversing with the makers of other FS addons- and there appear to be problems throughout FS9- but i don't think clear patterns have emerged yet.For the moment- I'd ask you to take a read through the FAQ on our site and follow the steps there....and keep us posted.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest KevinShea

Rob,Thanks for the reply. FYI, after I landed everything started working again. I don't know at what point it started working again but after I taxied off the active and completed the after landing checklist I tried the P and Shift-Z again and it was working.I will see if it happens again on another flight and try to post info on this.My system:Athlon 2600+ XPWin 2000 SP4ASUS A7V8X-XFS 20041 GB RAM PC2700ATI Radeon 9600XT 3.10 driverThanks,Kevin

Guest Fjorko

HiI had the same thing, and to get rid of it i had to remove all the PMDG key assignments in the PMDG - general menu

I had this problem after new repaint installs... start fs9 and pick repaint and when I went to get ATIS the radios would not work... restarted FS9 and sometimes it would work and then sometimes it wouldnt.... I did one time change back to the FSD Commander and turned on its avionics and then returned to PMDG and the radio stack worked no problems.... that resolved the problem ever since experiencing it.... just a pain thoughmy two cents Steve

Captains-after some helpful email from one or two customers who noticed what was happening, we have a somewhat better idea of the problem, so I'd like you to test this scenario and report your findings in this forum thread:When you notice that the radios don't work, or that your "P"ause or "Shift-Z" commands aren't working, press the CTRL key and release it... see if this fixes the problem...We might have a clue now ;-).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Gents-Unfortunately, the proposed fix didn't work entirely. It seems that there are some keyboard brands out there (our own Bob Jones has a Logitech Corded Delux Access model) that mis-report the right ALT key for a CTRL virtual scancode. This ONLY happens with the KEYDOWN process, not with the KEYUP equivalent.As a result, our code thinks that you still have the CTRL key pressed, when in reality, you have just pressed the right ALT key.There's one workaround for this: Whenever you see that you don't get a proper response, press (and release) the CTRL key. Everything should go back to normal.I am open to further suggestions, but unless the keyboard actually reports the proper key press, I am SOL ;-).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest KevinShea

Lefteris,Thanks for the reply, I will test it out the next time it crops up. I don't consider it a big deal to have to press the CTRL key once to fix the problem (it's not like I'm not sitting here pressing tons of buttons anyways). I'm sure this kind of thing drives you programmers nuts though!!!1:D Thanks for checking it out.Kevin