Sign in to follow this  
Guest skyrider

Dotted green line in NFD...

Guest skyrider

Hi,I have noticed that there is a dotted green line, corresponding to the set course, which seems to appear permanently when in "Map" or "Plan" modes in the NFD.From past experience, I believed that this bit of the display could be toggled on/off, in the same way that other information, such as airports & waypoints could be toggled.However, I can't find a way of removing it from view. Does anyone know if it is actually possible to remove it from view & if so, how?Many thanks,Doug Boynton

Guest lbb

I don't think that it can be toggled off. However, I believe in the sim it is only permanently shown when you're in HDG SEL mode. In other modes I think it'll only show briefly after setting the bug to a new heading. Look at the image below: in LNAV there is no heading line.Interestingly, I know from PS1 that this is the way it works in a 744, but I can't find any reference to it in my 737 manuals. Makes you wonder: is this behaviour conjecture on the part of PMDG or is this one of those (many!) instances where manuals simply don't tell the whole story, making life that much harder on sim builders :-)Leo Bakkerhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=vie...t&file_id=56386

Guest skyrider

Leo: thanks for your reply :-)I have taken a look at that pic & I see that those green lines are different to the one I was referring.The green lines/pointers in your pic are actually pointing to the active VOR1 & VOR2 stations.The line that I am referring to is a dotted green line which is aligned to the course selected on the MCP & runs through the the active VOR1 station, provided it is in range. It seems to stay in view until you are out of range of any stations using that particular frequency.Some NAV sets have an auto/manual switch for scanning purposes, (see DF737,) & I believe that the course line would only appear when this is set to manual, but I could be wrong!

Guest rcarlson123

So you aren't really seeing this dotted green line "permanently", right? Only when in range of the VOR station you have tuned, right? That's the way it is for me, so if I don't want to see the green line, I just de-tune the station.

Exactly-that's also what happens in the real world, according to our beta tester captains. In order to de-clutter the ND, they de-tune the VOR station, as there's no way to turn off those lines... (annoying, ain't it? :-) )

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest skyrider

Ross/Lefteris: many thanks for your replies :-)I agree that you can get rid of those lines by detuning the VOR, but the downside of that is, depending on which modes you have selected, you lose the DME readout & the ability to have the solid green needle/pointer which points towards the station, in view.IMHO, it would be nice to be able to toggle them out of view to de-clutter the ND, but such is life...Doug

Guest lbb

Sorry, I was confused, I was referring to the heading bug line. Which isn't even green!I really should try to get some more sleep, rather than play with my favourite toy all the time :-)Leo Bakker

Guest MacDoo

DougI think you will find that pressing the POS button on the EFIS control panel toggles the green line in the EHSI Map display on and off.CheersSteve

Guest skyrider

Steve: thanks for your reply...I checked out your suggestion & found that it controls a different set of green lines!The one I am referring to is shown in the pic - I guess it would have helped if I'd shown this earlier!Thanks anyway :-)Doughttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/57624.jpg