Sign in to follow this  
Guest bdiregolo

Frame Rates

Guest bdiregolo

Hi Everyone, Im frusterated with FS, not with PMDG but everyone here is helpful so im going to post here. I am running a P4 3.06 with 1 gig ram and ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 mb vid card and only getting frame rates in the 20's. Can someone please tell me what is going on because I think I should be getting frame rates a little better then this and it is started to bug me when I fly into a place like SEA and there are clouds and my frames drop to like 10 and everything starts to jump around. I fly with PMDG 737 and use Active Sky. Anyone have any suggestions? Also where is FS9.cfg cant find it in my docs or in FS9 folder.

Guest ba747heavy

Howdy,Your fs9.cfg is located in the c:Documents and Settings{YOUR LOGIN NAME}Application DataMicrosoftFS9fs9.cfgI think that is close, I am at school right now and can't confirm that. It is important to note that the Application Data folder is hidden.What settings do you have in FS? What is your AA settings for your card? THe biggest FPS killer is AI traffic, so I suggest turning down your AI if you have it up. Turn down your AA settings to something less than the max.Hope this helps.

Brian,Try lowering your AA settings for your video card. My ATI card is now set at 2x AA and 4x AS and I get great frame rates. Unlike the NVidia cards you wont notice much of a difference in video quality with these settings lowered, but you will notice an increase in frame rates. Also be sure your running the latest 3.10 ATI drivers.Your FS9 is located in Documents and SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftFS9FS9.cfgOther hints - Try using the smaller sized clouds available from AVsim file library and also try renaming the autogen file trick.I wish going to the dentist was as easy as it is to find information from this forum!! lol :-waveTony

Guest Ray CYYZ

Brian,Just to manage your frustrations better, I have the big brother version of your system (p4-3.2/ati 9800xt 256mb) and I can kill that system too with FS9 alone, forget about even installing PMDG on top.There is no hardware in existance that can not be killed through FS9. It is a matter of balancing your options to where you are flying in the FS9 world.Ray

Brian,When you have found the FS9 cfg file delete it and let FS rebuild it. This really improved my frame rates. I only have a AMD XP 2000, which runs at 1.67Mhz, 250Mb and a Gforce4 TI 4600 and my frame rates are usually in the 20's, limited to 25. I wish I had the power of your m/c.RegardsKeith B.

Guest ChristophIllmer

This really depends on the FS settings. I have nearly the same system but am running a 3.00 with FSB800. Most of my sliders are maxed out, Autogen and water reflections such as RW weather are frame killers. You may want to switch off the shadows and water reflection such as the lense effects. My system runs very smoothly. It's just a matter of balancing your settings.