Sign in to follow this  
Guest zimmerbz

to all AS2004/PMDG 737 users.....

Guest zimmerbz

I have both AS 2004 and the PMDG. I am aware that there are problems with the two pieces of software while running at the same time. I try to fly with AS2004, but majority of the time, witness it screw up my final approach. This can be my only explanation for why I am having manual landing problems. I seem to have the plane being "blown" all over the place when not having autopilot engaged. I wish that AS2004 would work better with PMDG. The weather can be breathtaking at times, but what good is it when as soon as you click AP off on final, you can barely control the plane? My question is who has success using both? If you do, what settings do you use and what are your steps before starting FS9 and taking flight? Thanks, I appreciate it. Brad

Guest mpauli

Hi BradCould you be a bit more specific with 'have the plane being "blown" all over the place' please?If the Autopilot is able to land the plane under a specific weather condition you should be able to do so as well (most of the time ;-)).I'm using AS2004 almost all the time and have never had problems till now. It can happen that you have a certain wind change on final. But that can happen in real as well. Sometimes it's better to approch a bit fast and have some additional performance reserve.But if you think there is a problem with AS2004 just discribe what happened on your final and I will try to solve the problem... ;-)Waiting for your answer... ;-)CheersMartin

Brad,I was having this very issue when I initally installed AS2004 and it happened on two flights that I made: one with the Fanda Dash8 and the other with the 737NG, the former flown manually and the latter on autopilot. In both instances I got a sudden, and major, change of wind direction and speed, which caused the dash8 to go well into a stall (15kts in the red) and the 737NG to not quite stall but dance its way 100ft to the left of the runway for a very ugly autoland.After this second occurence, and despite the fact that there were no other aircraft within cooee of my plane (ie. nothing remotely close - for all you non-Aussies out there), I turned OFF wake turbulence in AS2004 and I haven't seen the problem since. What prompted me to do this was the similarity with the few similar experiences I had with aircraft behaviour with AS WXRE, FS2002 and wake turbulence (although in these cases other aircraft were close enough to cause such an effect - naughty me!).Anyway, something for you to try if you want.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Thanks for your post Gary - I am tossing up whether to purchase AS2004, you may have tipped me over the edge!Oh and steady on with cooee stuff, you'll have us all doing Skippy impersonations next :-)ScottYBTL

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest Bud

This is interesting. I made a similar post on the main forum in another connection and basically got the response that there was no problem using the NG and A/S. However, I think there is - my experience is very much the same. All goes fine with the flight but problems occur on approach, usually below 3000ft. These issues happen when trying to make an autoland. The precursor to the prob is the plane begins to wobble left and right on the glidepath. Without warning, A/P 2 disconnects and there is a surge in airspeed and the plane begins a steep climb - kindof performs its own go around. In one post, Damian says he doesn't think this is possible. Well it happens.I've looked closely at my A/S options to ensure that I have virtually no more than a gentle breeze at destination and wake turbulence is off - that was a killer.I've been using one route to experiment with various options and only get the problem with A/S. However, just when I was about to give up on A/S, I tried the same flight again today with today's weather and got a perfect landing! All conditions/options were exactly the same as yesterday, when I did get the problem, other than the wx file.The only issue on this flight was that once or twice I got the default ATC telling me to expedite descent to a level I was already at. The baro setting was OK, so maybe there's another prob here.I'm gonna keep on trying to see what comes from using different wx files.Bud

On which side did you fall? ;)

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

As an aside, the development of AS2004 is ongoing. Damian will beat this winds issue to death until everyone is satisfied, and he has already uncovered a number of details with respect to how FS9 handles winds and is working hard on overcoming these obstacles. From the AS forum, it seems most people, PMDG users included, are very happy with how AS2004 with the alpha version of the maintainance release is handling winds and visibility, and things will only get better in the coming weeks and months...Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi,I have been using the PMDG 737NG and AS2004 since the very first day AS2004 was released, and so far I am pretty happy with the results. Much much better than FSMeteo or Activesky2002 which both gave me headache with FS9.Just follow the standard guidelines in the Product Manual, expecially for setting up the flight plan forecast before you start the flight and it should work fine.Regards

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Guest zimmerbz

when on final, with AP engaged, the plane handles quite well. In fact, it tracks the localizer and glideslope perfectely. Problems start when I disconnect the AP. I seem to loose control of the plane. The nose will tend to swing right, and I need to apply full opposite rudder and stick to TRY to get her back to center. The only thing I can do is switch back to AP and do an autoland...which is no fun. I am in landing configuration too. Flaps up at 200, intercept localizer flap 5 speed 180, glideslope alive gear, flap 15 and vref speed, glideslope capture landing flaps. No matter what i get the same result, and it has been like this since AS2004 has been installed. Im stumped!Brad

Guest HJOrtmann

SG,[sorry for this PMDG off-topic posting]the development may be ongoing - but until now it wasn't able to solve the main problem of AS with FS9: the famous wind shifts, which may leed to fatal results, when flying with real weather.Even the update does not seem to solve this major problem (see http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...0&mesg_id=7350)Just say it, as it is: a serious issue, which has not beed solved until now - different to the promises, which were made by Damian and other people.yes, hopefully Damian will be able to beat this issue to death - and hopefully he'll need less than 'months' for this - in this case I'll switch to AS immediately :) But a lot of people already bought AS with wrong ideas in their mind about what's already solved...

I agree with Hans here. With no disrepect towards AS. There IS an issue that does not always rear it's ugly head but is real enough. In fact PMDG have stated that one should NOT use AS or any add-on weather program unless one excepts these limitations. This AFDS sometimes gets sent too much info causing erratic behavior not limited to IAS reading 0 which leads to the Alpha kicking (thinks that you are stalling) ;(. This is a real issue and like Hans stated, I hope it does get resolved so everyone can use AS with PMDG without potential problems.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/betaimg.jpg

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi, I second this! I have never had any problems with the combo of 737NG and AS2004 on approach. I have, however, every once in a while a few dramatic wind shifts, but with AS those are far fewer than without.Thanks,Boaz

Guest Bud

RandyIn a way, it is helpful that someone has, at last, come out and agreed that there is a problem. I know that there is, but up 'til now all I've had are the responses along the lines 'well I use the two together and have had no problems'. Not too helpful.Given the importance of these two programs to flying in FS9, might I suggest that the stricture of PMDG in the manual presents effectively a choice - either fly the best plane but not in the best weather environment, or fly in the best environment but not in the best plane.Would it not be in the general interests of all of us who wwould like both, that the two developers be encouraged to get together and sort out a solution. Surely better than just hoping.Bud

Guest HJOrtmann

Bud,I'm not sure, if I understood you completely, but this problem is not PMDG related - it's just a problem of the external weather programs and will happen with every bird, you're flying.In case of running the 737NG this sometimes will have more effects (for our baby behaves more real than others), but the issue will occur with every other plane, too.HansJuergen