Sign in to follow this  
Guest Art Vandalay

PMDG Groupflight

Hi!Thanks alot for your thorough guide, will try this out tonight - really looking forward to it :-)All the best,

Richard Åsberg

Guest Art Vandalay

Sorry but in my opinion this comment is just impertinent and respectless no matter what situation.

Speaking about ATC communication, found these amusing conversations from the real world - enjoy!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~While taxiing, the crew of a US Air flight departing for Ft.Lauderdale made a wrong turn and came nose to nose with a United 727. The irate female ground controller lashed out at the US Air crew, screaming: "US Air2771, where are you going? I told you to turn right onto Charlie taxiway! You turned right on Delta! Stop right there. I know it's difficult for you to tell the difference between C's and D's, but get it right!" Continuing her tirade to the embarrassed crew, she was now shouting hysterically: "God, you've screwed everything up! It'll take forever to sort this out! You stay right there and don't move till I tell you to! You can expect progressive taxi instructions in about half an hour and I want you to go exactly where I tell you, when I tell you, and how I tell you!You got that, US Air 2771?""Yes ma'am," the humbled crew responded.Naturally the ground control frequency went terribly silent after the verbal bashing of US Air 2771. Nobody wanted to engage the irate ground controller in her current state. Tension in every cockpit at LGA was running high. Then an unknown pilot broke the silence and asked, "Wasn't I married to you once?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The controller working a busy pattern told the 727 on downwind to make a three-sixty - do a complete circle, a move normally used to provide spacing between aircraft.The pilot of the 727 complained, "Don't you know it costs us two thousand dollars to make even a one-eighty in this airplane?"Without missing a beat the controller replied, "Roger, give me four thousand dollars' worth."~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A DC-10 had an exceedingly long rollout after landing with his approach speed a little high. San Jose Tower: "American 751 heavy, turn right at the end of the runway, if able. If not able, take the Guadalupe exit off Highway 101 and make a right at the light to return to the airport."~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~It was a really nice day, right about dusk, and a Piper Malibu was being vectored into a long line of airliners in order to land at Kansas City.KC Approach: "Malibu three-two Charlie, you're following a 727, one o'clock and three miles."Three-two Charlie: "We've got him. We'll follow him."KC Approach: "Delta 105, your traffic to follow is a Malibu, eleven o'clock and three miles. Do you have that traffic?"Delta 105 (in a thick southern drawl, after a long pause):"Well...I've got something down there. Can't quite tell if it's a Malibu or a Chevelle."~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Unknown aircraft: "I'm f...ing bored!"Air Traffic Control: "Last aircraft transmitting, identify yourself immediately!"Unknown aircraft: "I said I was f...ing bored, not f...ing stupid!"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tower: "Eastern 702, cleared for takeoff, contact Departure on 124.7."Eastern 702: "Tower, Eastern 702 switching to Departure. By the way, after we lifted off we saw some kind of dead animal on the far end of the runway."Tower: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff, contact Departure on 124.7. Did you copy that report from Eastern?"Continental 635: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff, roger; and yes, we copied Eastern and we've already notified our caterers."~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign "Speed bird 206":Speed bird 206: "Top of the morning, Frankfurt, Speed bird 206 clear of the active runway."Ground: "Guten Morgen. You vill taxi to your gate."The big British Airways 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.Ground: "Speed bird, do you not know where you are going?"Speed bird 206: "Stand by a moment, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."Ground (with arrogant impatience): "Speed bird 206, have you never flown to Frankfurt before?"Speed bird 206 (coolly): "Yes, I have, actually, in 1944. In another type of Boeing, but just to drop something off. I didn't stop."~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~O'Hare Approach Control: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, eastbound."United 239: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this...I've got that Fokker insight."~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A Pan Am 727 flight engineer waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following:Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak English."Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"Unknown voice (in a beautiful British accent): "Because you lost the bloody war!"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Richard Åsberg

Hi Art!Which comment may that be?A controller with a CTR rating on VATSIM is one that should handle the duties he himself has chosen to perform, respectfully towards the people who are trying to also enjoy themselves.Telling every pilot out there that "I am not having fun" and "There are 100,000 pilots out there - too many for me" every two minutes is:a) Not helping the situation (useless remarks taking up valuable frequency time):( Not helping himself (stress and aggravation cause panic scenarios).If he didn't feel up to it, or if he thought he had too many a/c to handle, he should have known exactly how to place each and every one in a hold (that's how he would have gotten the CTR rank anyway) and handle a staggered/stacked situation.I feel that nowadays, some VAT departments deem it appropriate to make their students/trainees take tests "in deep waters" and in fly-in scenarios, thus causing the enjoyment of the hobby to degrade.I have utmost respect for trainee people who would love to learn and give 100% of their efforts (even if they screw up! that's why it's a virtual environment!) but I couldn't care less for people who are too bothered to even care or respect for their peers.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest Art Vandalay

>Which comment may that be?"told the controller to shut up saying there was too much traffic and get on with the job"That comment.Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with what you pointed out as not being helpful but a comment like this does not do either in any way. So why get personally and heat up the situation instead of acting cool and take it as it is. Saying "shut up" to a controller is not a way to act at least here at the vatsim network.GreetsArt

Art-AH! You're very correct, if that had been the exact words. Of course, the previous poster carried the "jist" of the message, not the actual wording itself (which I cannot remember at the moment) but was intended to be "abrupt" but also polite and respectful. There's nothing worse to voice comms than someone who'll "extend" discussions such as that one at length.So we agree - the original wording wasn't actually like that, though.

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest Art Vandalay

aaaaahaaaaaa....got it. back to business.

Guest ben_hewitt

Sorry Lefteris if i got the wording wrong-i improvised :-lol (I agree with what you said)..i could not hear because of the controller moaning :)I have to but in here-the controllers behaviour was terrible-he was cursing pilots for not knowing when and not when to speak and screaming "I am sick of pilots, you should learn" and "there are 100,000 pilots on my scream all wanting something from me" i checked on Servinfo there were no more than 10 in his airspace at that point..he was out of order and should have logged off if he was having problems...it took me 15 minutes to be 'identified' lol :-lol but it's all good fun and i hope he learns how to control better :)

Ben-I loved that particular quote from him: "There are 100,000 pilots on my screen all wanting something from me"... :-)Here's his 100,000 pilots:http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/PMDG_FlyIn.jpgAll in all, THANKS GUYS for supporting PMDG! This was a LOT OF FUN for everyone! Let's do it again!Cheers,

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest BrunoF

How about one in the USA?Bruno Francescoli.

yupfor surelets do it soonbut this time warn or get atc to participate with us (flyers) so there would be good coverage for gnd, twr, clr etc etcBo

Bo Klop

I'll 2nd vote for Schiphol Amsterdam. That's one cool airport!And it would be great if we could really organize enuff pilots (say at least 50?) and push Schiphol to open 2 or even 3 runways? It does have 3 parallel runways, which can be used all at once. Maybe 2 Approach Controllers, kind of really really busy situation, so that even when you taxi, that you are basically following someone.But that kind of effect really needs time to organize and people to have time.You think it's possible?

You guys should do this for the next PMDG group flight: Fly from KBFI (Boeing Field) (for obvious reasons) and fly down the coast to the Los Angeles ARTCC. You all can pick San Diego (payware scenery from Fly-San Diego) or Las Vegas or Los Angeles (both have payware from Simflyers and a good freeware of LAX here at Avsim). It would be a good 2.5hr long flight. I assure you that you will get some of the best ATC on VATSIM in the Los Angeles ARTCC and Oakland as well as Seattle Centers are top notch as well. You all can call it the "PMDG Pacific Coast Cruise". If someone is interested in setting it up, go to the LA website at www.laartcc.org

Eric 

Eric, this is one awesome idea, just there is one minor problem!As far as I understand you, KBFI - KLAX = 2.5 hours. And it's only one leg. It would be nice if there were like last time two legs, because then it gets interesting. And shorter legs, each for like 1 hour or so flight time. It's not "interesting" to be flying for two and half hours, it's the action what it's all about :)