Sign in to follow this  
Guest scottzdc

Altitude Aural Warnings

Guest scottzdc

Hi guys, I've made about 15 flights with the update. I always get the altitude horn for 1000 to go when climbing. Level off and continue climb I always receive the warning. I never get the warning in descent (VNAV, LVL CHG, V/S). Also I get the "Twenty-five Hundred" call on about 15% of flights. Re: wind issues on final. I just flew into KLGA last week with wnds of 32014G29 and light to moderate turbulence autoland on 4. I'm glad the autopilot was flying! haha It did a superb job and put it on the touchdown zone. Lots of yawing and a little roll.Love the plane!Chris Saunders

Hi Chris,Just to double check - are you listening for the calls in the 2d cockpit or in the VC?If in the VC, you won't hear any sounds unless you hit shift+1 every time you enter it.

Guest ba747heavy

The 2500 call won't sound off unless you have your landing gear down.

Guest Stefan Bergert

>The 2500 call won't sound off unless you have your landing>gear down.If this is the case...it's very strange to me?! Why should the 25hundred callout only sound if the gear was down? Is this PMDG or "real life"-specific.In other Boeings like 744 it's always available (though it might be a company specific callout like "radio altimeter" or "Twothousand-fivehundred" like on A340's).Best regards,Stefan

Guest ba747heavy

Stefan,AFAIK it is 'real life'.

Guest lbb

There was a thread about this some two weeks ago. I had the same feeling about the missing 2,500 feet call-out. Later I was watching a DVD featuring a Transavia 738 and indeed the call-out was missing when the gear wasn't down.I have to say though that I do find it a bit of a pity that the other part of my question wasn't adressed, nor is the other part of the original question of this thread:- The altitude horn seems to be U/S on descent for a lot of people (haven't heard from people who claimed it DOES work for them).- It seems the GPWS call outs are not reset when climbing above the altitude Lefteris mentioned for this to happen, 3,500 feet. (haven't heard from people who claimed it DOES work for them).I haven't seen any acknowledgement of either point by the PMDG team. (Haven't tested 1.3 though. Anyone?)Leo Bakker

Guest Iz

We have no 2500 ft call out on our 737s. Only 500, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10.

Guest ba747heavy

>We have no 2500 ft call out on our 737s. Only 500, 100, 50,>40, 30, 20, 10.Callouts are options that carriers can configure.

Guest scottzdc

I only fly 2D cockpits. I can't stand VC flying (call me old fashioned). I have never received the altitude horn on descent. FS9 / XPPro Chris Saunders

Hi Iz,that's in line with Boeing's recommendations, who advise customers against installing the 2500 and 1000ft callouts - the reason given is the potential for confusion when overflying elevated terrain on approach.Cheers,Gosta.http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2betateam.jpg

Guest lbb

Hi Iz,Since I know "we" is Transavia that would explain it then :-)However, I hope you do have the altitude horn on descent and a resetting of the altitude call outs on the second flight of the day :-)While we're at it, there has been much discussion about the speed brake light's behaviour. Do you know if the SPEED BRAKE ARMED light comes on when you use the speed brake in flight ? In the Transavia DVD I could see the armed light stays on after automatic speed brake deployment on landing until about 60 kts, but the DVD was not helpful in determining the in flight behaviour of the light.Leo Bakker

"Do you know if the SPEED BRAKE ARMED light comes on when you use the speed brake in flight ?"I'd say it wouldn't, Leo.The ARMED light will only come on if the lever is IN the armed detent (according to the Boeing Maintenance Manual) OR if the speedbrake actuator is given an extend command OR if a thrust lever is in reverse (and the speedbrake actuator hasn't yet extended).Being "IN" the ARMED detent surely wouldn't mean that the lever was behind or in front of the ARMED detent.Cheers.Ian.

Guest Iz

Haha!No we DON'T have an aural altitude alert when approaching a selected altitude, since that's also an airline option. The altitude box does light up. An altitude aural warning is given when deviating from a set altitude, I believe.And YES, the SPEED BRAKE ARMED light will illuminate when using speed brakes in flight. It actually lights whenever the lever is out of the DOWN DETENT.

Guest lbb

>And YES, the SPEED BRAKE ARMED light will illuminate when>using speed brakes in flight. It actually lights whenever the>lever is out of the DOWN DETENT.Thanks for the input, Iz, I guess that settles that question then.Along with Ian I would have thought it wouldn't. Apparently it's one of those things that do not work as you'd expect. I myself have looked in 4 different 737 manuals but couldn't find any reference to this light other than the most obvious: that it indicates what it says it indicates :-)Leo Bakker