Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Across the country in a Cessna 150...2K2 got it right

I took a little "hop" in a Cessna 150 (FS2K2), from Colorado Springs (00V) to Melbourne, FL (Merritt Is, KCOI). 7 legs, about 18 hours flying time give or take. I "derated" the 152 to give a more accurate cruise (~87kts) and fuel flow (for 3 hour legs plus reserves)One of the things I noticed was the "attention to detail". From take off out of Colo Spgs to Dodge City, KS, (FL075 for the folks across the pond) I had a Sectional chart avail, and it seemed every lake, stream, radio tower, road and airport (even the "private" ones) were included in the scenery. I then used WAC charts till I got to Leesburg, FL, then went to the Tampa/Orlando Terminal Area chart. As I weaved my way around/under the Orlando Class B at 2700ft (no head-on's with the westbounders at 2500), I found myself using "that little notch in that lake" or "the intersection of the lake and the highway" or "the two tall towers" as VFR reference points... absolutely marvelous!Point is, someone at MS spent a LOT of time going over sectionals/maps/sat photos and putting all these items into the scenery. I mean ALL of them!! VFR by dead reckoning and checkpoints in 2K2 is very do-able and a joy to practice. After lots of fast FL3XX flying in my VA, getting "down and dirty" with slow VFR was great fun. Someday I may take this trip for real. CheersDave J00VSlow down and enjoy the scenery...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Last Jan. I had to go to New York and pick up an Aeronca Chief to ferry back to Tennessee. I flew the route first on FS2K2 and was amazed at the detail that matched the sectional charts I was following with. In fact, I visually saw Nuc Towers that I had not seen on the sectionals until FS2K2 made them obvious. The lakes and antennas were very acurately depicted also. Roger

Hi Dave,Good post. I fly a C172 here in Colorado (out of Jeffco, BJC), and am currently working on my 50 hours of cross countries for my instrument rating. I try and fly to a new airport / route whenever I can. As you mention, the scenery in FS202 is so good, that I now "fly" the flight on FS before I do the real thing, just to test the route out and get familiar. It's about as good as you can get!Bruce.