Sign in to follow this  
Guest por911t

Horizontal Trim

Guest por911t

Hello all, first I would like to say that I love flying the PMDG 737 it is one of the best aircraft that I have had the pleasure of flying in MSFS! My question to all of you is I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem with the Horizontal trim, in the first version the motion was smooth as silk, but in the lastest version I get a very erractic movement and it is annoying. I can still set trim okay but the movement while watching just jumps up and down. (and I'm not talking about elevator trim but the horizontal trim) Anyways I would like to hear if anyone has this problem and if they do, do you know a remedy. Rich Hall

Guest Iz

If you're not talking about Elevator Trim, then what on earth is horizontal trim?

Guest por911t

Thanks Leo I apperciate that link, While I do think that it is the most important issue I would like to see it corrected, it does cause a bumpy transition when triming the A/C, I would just like to see it work like the original version that I had, and wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue. As far as the other gentleman out there that asked what I was talking about if it wasn't the elevator trim, what I'm talking about is the movement of the horizontal Stabilizer, that is the main airfoil just infront of the elevator it is adjustable for trim. It moves via a big jackscrew in the empenage, Thanks again leo that was apperciated, I was thinking that I was the only one with this issue:)

Guest por911t

Thanks Leo I apperciate that link, While I do think that it is the most important issue I would like to see it corrected, it does cause a bumpy transition when triming the A/C, I would just like to see it work like the original version that I had, and wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue. As far as the other gentleman out there that asked what I was talking about if it wasn't the elevator trim, what I'm talking about is the movement of the horizontal Stabilizer, that is the main airfoil just infront of the elevator it is adjustable for trim. It moves via a big jackscrew in the empenage, Thanks again leo that was apperciated, I was thinking that I was the only one with this issue:)

Guest por911t

I meant to say that I do not think it is the most important issue but one that I would like to see corrected eventually, sorry guys.

Guest Iz

That IS the elevator trim though! :)

"what on earth is horizontal trim?"I think the topic is related to Stabilizer Trim, Iz. "Horizontal Trim" is only fitted to aircraft with "TOGO" switches and Nav Radio "Tunning" :(Hey, who's calling me picky???Cheers.Ian.

Guest por911t

Okay first the horizontal trim is pitch control of the aircraft, on the heavies the trim is adjusted by moving the horizontal stablilizer not by triming the elevator. The movement is accomplished via a jackscrew mechanism. Also horizontal trim is not affected by the TOGO system or the Nav Radio. I do have a background in this field, I work as a A&P for a major airline in the US. I have background in 737-300,737NG,757-200,767,MD-80 and the pain in the butt 90's. MY whole question was really aimed at finding out if anyone else was experiencing this same problem and if they had a fix, I absoulutly love flying this aircraft it is a joy and pretty much the only heavy I fly in FS9 these days. As I stated in the first version I didn't have this issue so I am hoping to correct this as I do also like to manuely fly the aircraft too, and you need to properly trim it to have a decent flight. In my opion the PMDG is a fantastic aircraft they have done a outstanding job in modeling the 737NG, thanks for the great product guys!Oh and bye the way GO Pats:)

Guest aaron_huber

You missed the joke :-).There was a thread joking about the "TOGO" button instead of the correctly named "TO/GA" button, and similarly the radio "tunning", not "tuning".I think the point was that the pitch trim in the 737 NG is labelled "Stabilizer Trim" on the panel. Horizontal or pitch trim would seem to me to be a more generic term, while stabilizer or elevator trim would be a specific indication of how you are doing the trimming.Aaron

Guest por911t

NP yep I missed the joke, cheers:)

Guest Iz

Ah yes, terminology. What I meant to say, there's only ONE way to trim the airplane in the pitch axis, and that is by stabilizer trim. I've been flicking the stabtrim switches numerous times today on a visual approach into Tenerife.