Sign in to follow this  
BoHappy

airspeed tape changing with wind change

hii have been flying online with VATSIM using PMDG 737-700 (Ver 1.3) and noticed that my airspeed tape starts going crazy (up and down to very unusual speeds from 50-450 nts creating ac turbulance) only during winds direction or speed changeam i doing something wrong or missing somethinganyones help would be appreciatedthanksBo

Bo Klop

Guest tmetzinger

>hi>i have been flying online with VATSIM using PMDG 737-700 (Ver>1.3) and noticed that my airspeed tape starts going crazy (up>and down to very unusual speeds from 50-450 nts creating ac>turbulance) only during winds direction or speed change>am i doing something wrong or missing something>anyones help would be appreciated>thanks>BoThis is "normal" and is caused by the way external weather works. You get an instantaneous wind change, which causes FS to recalculate indicated airspeed.Everyone from the weather vendors to the FSUIPC team is working on a way to smooth the changes.

thank you Tim for your replyit is hard to fly the plane when this happens are there any suggestions that you have to make it somewhat smootherBo

Bo Klop

I had this exact same problem last night on departure from EGJJ. The airspeed went crazy, the altimeter indicated 31,000 feet (I had just taken off!) and then I stalled into the sea:-( I was running FS Metar at the time - I guess this was the culprit? Never had this problem before with the default MS weather engine.RegardsAdam Moore

the manual says not to use any weather addons as long as a asolution to some problems (the way weather updates are handled by different products) is found.. Bye, Luca

hi Lucayou may be right but there are a lot of people flying PMDG and or with ActiveSky2004 and from the forums you read no one mentioned this problem in the past, may be its the smoothing of wind direction and speedPerhaps someone who has and uses both pmdg ans activesky2004 can comment on this issueBo

Bo Klop

Tim's post says it all really.The problem is caused by the way FS9's weather engine works (or doesn't :-) when external data is fed to it.Like other developers, the lack of an SDK is hampering the authors of ActiveSky, FSUIPC, etc ability to find a solution.Having said that I am sure a solution will be found in spite of MS.I have also seen posts from folks who have this problem even using the default FS weather.Live with it or disable real weather, for now at least.Dave