Sign in to follow this  
drek2

FS9 Won't Install

Team: Your input, experience would be appreciated.I just received my new system (specs below in signature). I am unable to install FS9. I get through Disk 3 and then encounter the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) when installing Disk 4 when it is copying Asia.CAB. I've tried this 3 times and it has occurred each time. Also, get the same BSOD when running uninstall of FS9. Error messages include:Kernel_stack_inpage_errorStop 0X000000007AWin32K.sysRecommended solutions include disabling BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing.Any troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.

Guest sj3

Drek2: Common custom, and recommended behavior, in our forum is to sign your posts with your real name. I've got two suggestions:1) Use the Help&Support item from your start menu and then select Windows Update. Click Yes when prompted to install something from Microsoft and then allow it to scan and then install all "critical" updates. Let then download and install. All the cricial updates are usually installed in one batch. Then let it reboot. After the reboot, go back to Windows Update and re-scan. Install most of the suggested updates except you probably won't need Windows Movie Maker and the enhanced error reporting updates. Select most all the other ones (security patches, etc.). Make very sure you get DirectX 9.0b if it's available. It may already be on your system depending on how up-to-date ABS's image is. If you want to, get the latest update for Windows Media Player. That, and DirectX need to be installed separately from other updates so you may need 2 or 3 separate update/reboot passes to get everything.2) When you complete the above, disable any anti-virus software, then re-start the install from disk1. Don't worry about not being able to uninstall. Also try to clean disk4 before you use it. You might have a bad cd, in which case I think MS and/or your retailer will replace it but I'm not sure of the procedure.Good luck and congratulations on your new system.sj MantelKEWR

SJ: Thanks for the suggestions. I will give them a try.Thanks for taking the time.Peter GarinoKORD

I had one of those this morning, on my backup server - turned out a drive had stopped - ie a hard driveScottYBTL

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

This, unfortunately, is more than a dirty Disk 4 problem. I've talked to tech support from ABS and they are going to try to talk me through some troubleshooting when I'm at the system tonight. I'm now getting frequent BSODs with the same kernel_stack_inpage_error message Stop 0X0000007A and Stop 0X00000077 messages. According to Microsoft, the most common cause of theses errors is 1) Bad paging file in bad block; 2) Improper SCSI termination; 3) Bad cabling from hard disk to controller; 4) Error on the disk controller. The system shipped from California to Illinois via truck. I'm hopeful that it's an improperly seated SIMM or loose cable. It could also be defective hardware such as a bad controller, memory module or cracked motherboard. Pete in KORD

I'd put my money on the drive.Good luckScottYBTL

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Believe me, I'm hoping it's just a loose SIMM or improperly seated board. It's frustrating when you get a brand new system and the first thing you have to do is go into trouble-shooting mode right away. That's why I got rid of the old system, wasn't it?Pete in KORD

Event viewer log revealed multiple controller and parity errors. I'm going to try running the Maxtor diagnostics tonight on the the hard drive to see if that's the problem. I think it may be. Check Disk failed to complete on the two occasions I ran it last night. Disk Defragmenter has also failed to complete. If the hard disk checks OK, then it's most likely a bad disk controller or motherboard. Great video by the way. It's so real it's scary.Pete in KORD

Ran Maxtor PowerMax and it was not able to find the drive. Interesting. Windows XP sees it, but not the diag program. Diagnosis: Bad Hard drive. Grounded for another week at least.