Sign in to follow this  
Guest anarchystyle01

approach

Guest anarchystyle01

hey, i just wanted to know what to type in when doing an approach. i have completed the tutorial from JFK to KORD and i am just wondering what the normal procedures are for all airports or where i can look them up.thanks, dave

Guest sj3

Dave: I'm not sure if I know what you mean, but www.myairplane has most all of the us airport approach plates. If you're talking about what buttons to push on the NG panels, that's a different question. Let me know if I/we need to change tracks, no pun intended.

Guest anarchystyle01

ok, what i mean is i have totally completed fred's tutorial with perfection. but what i want to know is how to do that with the PMDG plane for other airports. i just flew from san diego to san francisco and my decent was perfect and everything but the plane will not decend any farther leaving me 2000 feet above the runway. i use FS navigator to do my plans and then export them to the FMC. am i missing something i need to do on approach or is my FMC set incorrectly?thanks,dave

Guest sj3

Dave: A few things you need to do to get approach to work:1) Use the approach page in the FMC to figure out your vref speed, i.e. tell the FMC how much flaps you want and it will tell you the corresponding approach (vref) speed2) Ensure your arrival runway is selected in the FMC (probably should do this before no. 1 above.3) Ensure your ILS frequency is dialed in to BOTH nav radios3.5) Dial in the runway heading (available from the approach page on the FMC once you've reached cruise) in to the Course window on the PFD.4) As you get near the localizer, at a reasonable approach angle (8) Apply flaps as/when instructed on the speed tape.9) Gear down at the outer marker (displayed in the upper right corner of the same display as the speed tape, rate-of-climb display.10) Arm spoilers.11) Ensure passengers are allowed to smoke if they want, as this could be their last flight! (Sorry about that!).Really, one of the finest joys I've had was applying Fred/Tim's tutorial to other point A's and point B's. When Fred says to do something at PAPPI or WAVIE, do that same thing on your flight at the corresponding point in your flight plan. You'll need to use the charts Fred/Tim included to see where these are.I hope this was of some help and not complete jibberish!Good luck and let me know if questions.

Guest anarchystyle01

ok, thanks but before i try this, where do i find the ILS freq.? just what ATC tells me?

Guest sj3

ILS frequency found in either:1) fs2004 Map view2) FMC approach page (somewhere near INT REF, I think3) airport runway approach plate (available from myairplane.comI usually ignore ATC. I land where I want and when I want! It's my sim, for heavens sake!:). Although ATC, I think, can autotune your nav radios, I don't think ATC will tune both of them, necessary for auto-land.

Guest anarchystyle01

HA, i did it. i took off from san diego and landed flawlessly in san francisco. thanks a bunch man, i am so much more confident with my landings.thanks, dave