Sign in to follow this  
Guest schimmi

Failing radio stack during the flight

Guest schimmi

Hi!I have written about my problem with the radio stack before deeply in some other thread. But as nobody noticed it, I will try again:The radio stack stops functioning after some time of flying. The NAV1, NAV2, COM1, COM2 control don't work anymore, i.e. I can click on the knobs without any effect. Even with the right frequency no distance, direction is displayed and ILS doesn't work anymore. I have experienced this several times now. When I get nearer my destination I setup the frequencies for the ILS approach. At this point the VORs are still out of range. When I get nearer and the signal should be received the failure appears. Reloading the aircraft fixes the problem though.Any idea whether this is a bug I do anything wrong? Of course no failure is indicated by fs2004 nor the GMDG menu. There are no warnings.Does anybody else have this problem? How can I help to track it down if it's a bug? Does it help to send you the saved flight or something like that?I use the 1.3 version of course. I already removed it and reinstalled it from the all in one package instead of patching the 1.2. But it doesn't help either.Schimmi

Schimmi-In the first release, we had a problem where international users who have settings in windows that used a comma as a decimal delimiter (rather than the period) had the problem you describe.With Service Upate 1.2 we thought we had corrected the problem, but apparently we had not found all instances where it might create a problem and the radio stack continued to fail for some folks... (not all tho- which is odd...)Check your international settings and see if this helps the problem you are having? Report back here and let us know... We're intersted in solving this little "feature."

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest schimmi

I use a German Windows XP here. But I have set the decimal symbol to "." and the other one to "," like in English.Schimmi

Schimmi-what kind of keyboard/mouse are you using? Is it by Logitech, by any chance?Also- when your radio stack stops functioning, will it start again if you press and release the "Ctrl" key?Cheers,

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest schimmi

Cherry G83 PS/2 keyboard, logitech wheel mouseNo, pressing any of the modifier key does have no effect.Schimmi

Guest rcarlson123

I've had problems with this as well. Toggling the battery and/or standby power switch always fixes it. (I can't remember which toggle switch fixes it, I think it's the battery, but I'm not sure. It's definitely one of the main electrical system switches.)

Guest tmetzinger

>I've had problems with this as well. Toggling the battery>and/or standby power switch always fixes it. (I can't remember>which toggle switch fixes it, I think it's the battery, but>I'm not sure. It's definitely one of the main electrical>system switches.)>Also check the FS Avionics Master Switch function... if that's mapped to a key you may have hit it by accident.

Guest schimmi

I have tried all the suggestions now, but unfortunately without success. Using the avionic master switch key does nothing and switching both power source knobs is without effect either. I have set the locale setting to "English (USA)" now, but as you might guess, there isn't any improvement. I don't think it has much to do with those "external" things. I did a flight to LEPA yesterday. I had setup the ILS frequencies quite early in the flight. Then I checked the radio stack every two minutes. It always worked, until I get nearer my destination. Then it suddenly stopped working. I assume that the problem occurs exactly when the ILS signals are received for the first time. Then the G/S and loc gauges would become active, but this doesn't work somehow.Saving the flight and reloading it helps. But then the FMC and many other settings must be setup again which is no fun.Schimmi

Guest Ray CYYZ

I'm wondering, do you have anything like FS Navigator installed that can also manage the radios which might be blocking PMDG's control of them? I think I remember something like this with their autopilot not liking PMDG's autopilot.Ray

Guest wacs

Hi Fellow Captains,It's Just to let you know that I faced this problem as well. Yesterday night I was in a fly-in with another 15 pilots in Vatsim and had a hard time landing my PMDG without any navaid. It was night time and the visual was at 1000 ft.Regarding FSNavigator, yes, I used it yesterday as my live map and multiplayer radar, that's all. Didn't activate any of it's autopilot/FMC functions.Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I only fly with PMDG, and made a big advertising of it in my VA ( http://www.altairvacomm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4276 ).Many thanks in advance.

Guest wacs

Fellows,Just found how to solve it.Just go into the key assignments window (the same one you used to set the stairs open/close keys), and set the AVIONICS function to a key. I've set that in SHIFT-F12, since this was available.Now just go back into your cockpit and press SHIFT-F12. Your radios will come back to life. Press SHIFT-F12 again and they will die, note that your little analog VOR gauge (center-below) will die as well (if you're tuned into a station).However the displays, MCP and lights will not go off with AVIONICS off. Maybe this is by design.Well I hope it helps.Regards,Wagner

Guest JamieG

just a guess--check your default flight--is it in a small plane with ur avionics switch off. If so, maybe try a default flight with the avionics set to on--it might eliminate the need for you to do your SHIFT+F12 if that gets annoying--I'm glad you solved it!