Sign in to follow this  
Guest Av8tor737

Kamikaze Autoland

Guest Av8tor737

Okay, I never had this problem with Version 1.0, 1.2. But I've installed 1.3 and need some ideas. This nasty problem has occurred where, when in autoland mode, as soon as I get right over the numbers the damn thing noses right in and crashes. Violently. I've re-installed twice (yes used the uninstall utility), and I fly the numbers and proper parameters all the way down, nothing I've inputted either FMS wise or control wise is abnormal, so I'm at a loss. In fact, you'd never suspect anything was about to happen, nice and docile on approach until the final seconds before touchdown. Anyone else get this? Running in FS9 BTW....Thanks in advance, Palmer

Are you running Active Sky perhaps? Does the MCP speed window flash when this happens? You are stalling, so double check these items. Also make sure that you are VREF+5 if not more (especially in windy conditions). You can DE-SELECT SPD but leave A/T armed so you can manually input faster thaqn the AFDS but still have alpha protection.[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpg

Guest Av8tor737

No, no, already done and tried every angle possible.Just for grins I decided to reinstall Version 1.0 and 1.2 and the performance was flawless. And this flight crew knows a thing or two about flying, so it's being flown within parameters and by the numbers. It ain't the crew, it's the model :-)Using FS9 with default weather, and also have used other add on aircraft with no troubles. Also not using any other add ons to interfere, although the thought crossed my mind to look at FSUIPC and the possibility the 1.3 download could have possibly gotten corrupted in download process.Scratchin my head on this one...

Guest filip146

I also had these nose-dive (crash) landings a couple of times!Don't know for sure what causes this, but I think it has something to do with VNAV. When I had messages on the FMS like "VNAV Path unachievable" / "VNAV desc path not available" etc, the autolandings fail (No Flare).Try to fly just a circuit using ATC, and see if you can make a succesful autoland. I did it, and that worked as it should. When I flew from KIAH to KIND with real world weather en ATC from FS9, I had to descend before the optimum T/D, and the "VNAV desc path unavailable" message showed up when I tried to reangage VNAV when I came on to the optimum path (used V/S 1000fpm until on the path).I am going to try a flight without ATC, staying on the VNAV path until landing and see what happens...Filip146

Guest filip146

Been doing some flight testing.Flying a left hand pattern at KSEA. No wind / Fair weather. AP at 500ft. 737-700 with about 30% of fuel in each wing tank.I didn't put any routing into the FMC except the departure runway.Using HDG SEL and ALT, I flew onto the LOC of ILS 34R. Armed the LOC first, established on the LOC, APP armed. Steady on the ILS, no problems sofar, but I can't put the AP into Dual Channel Mode (feature not yet available???). Also, didn't see flare mode being armed (white on PFD below G/S wich is green). When the AT goes into REATARD the aircraft started a flare, but over-flared in fact, ending up with main wheels on the RWY but with a pitch attidude of about 8 degrees!! At 80 kts nose fell onto the runway...So, the reverse of the nose dives I had earlier....Also, when I do put in the ILS 34R into the FMC, when established on the ILS I got something like 'Nav frequency not tuned' (don't remember the exact message). Done the same procedure at several airports, always the same: sometimes nose dives (e.g. KTPA 18R) / extreme pitch UP (e.g. EBBR 25l/KTYS 05L/KSEA 34R)...So, something is very wrong. I just did a clean install of MSFS 2004 + PMDG ver 1.2 . I will now try to update to 1.3 and see what happens....PMDG please give some advice on what to try/do next? I love to fly the plane manually, but making a CATIII app is also nice, especially since I always use real world weather....Filip Demuynck

Guest filip146

Ok..Something is not very wrong....in fact...this one is pilot error!You MUST select the ILS freq on both NAV2 (manual tune) and NAV1 (autotuned), otherwise you cannot engage the second autopilot, and you can't get into Dual Channel status / flare mode will not arm. In fact, very logic, but you easily forget because NAV1 is autotuned. AP1 uses NAV1, AP2 uses NAV2. Everything worked fine, but after landing you have to disconnect the AP and put the nose onto the runway yourself. Otherwise, the AP will keep the nose pitched up. Palmer, did you have NAV2 tuned correctly to the ILS and did Flare mode engage properly?I just downloaded the manual by Timothy M. Metzinger. It is very well written, by reading it I found the mistake I made...Filip Demuynck

No autotuning on this bird! Both NAV radioes are tuned manually.The aircraft has multiple DME recievers, but these are controlled by the FMC. There is however no auto tuning

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

"Both NAV radios are tuned manually.The aircraft has multiple DME receivers, but these are controlled by the FMC."Just clarifying these statements....The two DME Interrogators have 5 channels each (=10 channels in all).Some of the channels in the DME's are autotuned by the FMC for position updating.The VOR's are manually tuned using the so-called Nav Radio panels (and this automatically tunes some of the (associated) DME channels.The ILS's are manually tuned using the Nav Radio panels (and tuning these automatically tunes some of the associated DME channels).Manually and automatically tuned DME's and manually tuned ILS's can be used for FMC position updating.Hope this makes sense :-)Cheers.Ian.

Guest filip146

You guys are absilutely right. No autotune!! (Wrong again..sorry)I did a couple of ILS at KSEA 34R (110.30) and then at my home base EBBR 25L (also 110.30). When I start MSFS9 at KSEA 110.30 is already set, then I went to EBBR, took off from 25R for an ILS on 25L and 110.30 was already tune as it is the same for the 34R at KSEA...So I concluded it had the autotune like the 744 and 757/767. Good example that aviation is a constant learning process, even for experienced pilots....Does anybody know the landing minima's for the PMDG 737? I quess this one is only Cat3A with DH50 ft? As there is no Rollout mode?Just did an ILS with low vis and clouds Broken at 100ft...very nice...Just made it with a DH of 50ft.ThanksFilip Demuynck