Sign in to follow this  
Guest chris_kirk

747 recommendations

Guest chris_kirk

Like all of us, I look forward to the release of the 737-800/900, however I am perhaps more interested in the eventual release of PMDG's 747. I've been anticipating a really good 747 since advancing technology made it harder and harder (and eventually impossible) to run PS1.3, but have been somewhat disappointed with each installation I have tried so far.Since the PMDG release will not be available for some months to come can anyone here recommend a good 747-400 (or later) that will run on FS9/WinXP so that I might keep my hand in? I'm not particularly worried about visual model, just a good flight model and as much systems simulation as possible.My apologies for posting this in the PMDG forum, but I feel that the average PMDG customer will have a much better feel for the quality I am looking for (and, until PMDG releases their's, the quality I will have to settle for!)Many thanks for any help,Chris Kirk

I've been looking for the same thing, since we moved from FS2002 to FS2004. PSS 747 was relatively OK back then, and you could've merged it with Meljet. So flying it was a pretty experience, except the flight model was so much worse than todays PMDGs or even Airbuses.I know pretty much that there is no decent (read with great FD and systems) 747/777 today on the market, and we will apparently just have to wait for either PMDG or PSS (those are the two for which I know that want to make 747) to make one.But if I'm wrong, I'd also like to know for other products!

Guest Boaz

There are none!PIC was ground breaking...Frankly Lagos Maddog was the only fairly advanced before that...I flew the MD80 in FS98 and 2000...Then I got a new PC and FS2002...PIC was what I flew, and it held more detailed avionics and realistic avionic behavior than anything I've ever witnessed...PMDG is THE only one to succed in reaching the same ground breaking grounds as PIC did in FS2000...But in FS2002/04...A320 PIC is also up there, but it runs bad on most PC...Will have to wait a bit to enjoy that amazing simulation!With all due respect to PSS, I feel personally, that they LOOK good, but behave unrealistically and even sound bad...I know many of you might disagree, but when demanding PMDG/PIC quality PSS is NOT on my wish list...Sorry but the range of freeware is also not up there...Just have to wait as I do, I am looking SO much forward to this!Everyone says that the PSS is enough, COME ON, finally YOU are going to do the super babe of the skies, and with your wonderful PRECISION MANUAL included!!!Wait and see folks you'll be blown away, I can't sleep well either I know its tough, but hang in there!Boaz...

And would 747-200, not glass cockpit, interest you ?www.panelshop.com it works for FS9, and the VC if fully clickable..

Sebastien BELLUTEAU

I could only speak for myself, I was talking about -400er :)

Guest chris_kirk

Thank you all for your replies. djsebx (?), I'll look into this classic package and maybe give it a go.As for a -400, looks like either I'll have to wait for the PMDG release, or else drastically DOWNgrade onr of my systems to get Hardy's PS1.3 going again!Chris Kirk

Guest Ray CYYZ

Sadly, there is nothing that compares to PS. Maybe by the time PMDG gets ready to bring our their queen enough will be known about the FS9 internals to get something close. The NG is great if you want a perfectly functional aircraft, but when you want to break things, nothing really comes close to PS. Hardy had the classic advantage, he didn't have to make his software run under someone elses flight sim, so you can't really look down on PMDG's efforts. They have done something amazing when you consider it runs INSIDE someone elses program.On a side note with vxdsound & joystick stuff configured right you can have PS running on XP nicely enough, just don't alt-tab out of it as it can't quite deal with the missing clock timers in XP.Ray

Guest chris_kirk

Hi Ray,Yes, I'm aware of the VDMSound module... unfortunately, though I haven't re-visited it for some time, I was unable to implement it well on my system. Perhaps I should give it another try. I agree that nothing comes even close (yet...) to touching PS from a pure systems standpoint and the software is/was a programming masterpiece (particularly when you consider it was coded from the ground up by one man using Pascal!) However from the point of view of an immersive flying experience, I think the likes of the NG and PIC767 have the edge... just wish I could run all three of them, equally well, on the same machine!Cheers,Chris Kirk - not trying to turn this into an Aerowinx forum!