Sign in to follow this  
Guest hardhit

Wind predictions in FMC with real weather

Guest hardhit

Hello All,In the FMC descent page you have an option to enter weather forecasts more paticularly the winds at different altitudes.Where can I find such information when I'm flying with real weather enabled ?I have found a good site to give me metars for the destination and arrival airports but how do I find uper layer winds. Because on the approaches that I fly now I alway's get Drag required and VNAV disconnects.The sites that I'm using for metars are :http://www.flightsimaviation.com/index.php?p=airportinfohttp://www.tmdg.co.uk/weather/Also another question how does FS determin what runway to use ?Because If I look at the metars for some airports I would use a different runway than FS is suggesting.Exmpl :Metar at brussels :EBBR 032120Z 21021KT CAVOK 14/07 Q1025 NOSIG= EBBR: Issued on the 3rd at 21:20 UTCwind 210 degrees, 21 knotsCAVOK Visibility 10 km or more, No Cumulonimbus cloud, No Cloud below 5000ft or Higest MSA (Greater), No weather significant to aviation.temperature 14, dew point 7 (degrees C)QNH = 1025 mb no significant change With wind blowing out of 210 - 21 kts and available runway's 25L 07R I would go for 07R however FS is telling RW 25L for landing.How does it come that FS uses tailwinds for landing ?Best regards,Peter

Guest Paragon

For predicting the weather you can use the program WeatherSet that comes with FSUIPC...it's very handy tool.The problem with fs9 using the wrong rwy could be either the afcad for EBBR is wrong, or that fs9 hasn't gotten around to changing the correct rwy. Fs9 will eventually change the rwy to the correct one, but only when there is a break in the trafic flow...so it might take a long time.Hope it helps./Mikkel

Guest Marc Harrington

If the wind is out of 210, then it would be a headwind for runway 25, just like you would want.

Guest hardhit

>If the wind is out of 210, then it would be a headwind for>runway 25, just like you would want.>I always thought that if the wind is blowing from 210 and your runway is 250 then you would have a slight cross wind form the left rear. To have a headwind on runway 25 the wind needs to be blowing out of the oposite direction lets say 070 degrees.Please correct me if I'm wrong on this issue.Regards,Peter

Guest hardhit

>For predicting the weather you can use the program WeatherSet>that comes with FSUIPC...it's very handy tool.>>The problem with fs9 using the wrong rwy could be either the>afcad for EBBR is wrong, or that fs9 hasn't gotten around to>changing the correct rwy. Fs9 will eventually change the rwy>to the correct one, but only when there is a break in the>trafic flow...so it might take a long time.>>Hope it helps.>>/MikkelHi,I have checked the AFCAD and runway 25L and 07R are open for landings.I have tried changing the wind direction to various angles around the 360 compass and then reloading the scenery and it keeps giving me the 25 L for landing.Regards,Peter

"Please correct me if I'm wrong on this issue."Wind numerical value is always the angle "from" which it is coming, so a wind from 210 would be blowing TO the northwest (30 deg). i.e the wind vector would go FROM the southeast (210) to the northwest (030). The aircraft has to land against the wind, so it would have to fly on a reciprocal to the 30 degree vector. Runways are named after the TO angle (divided by 10), so the aircraft would have to land on Runway 25 (250 deg).Hope this makes sense.Cheers.Ian.

Guest Paragon

If you have a wind of 210, you would land on rwy 25. Now the tricky thing about fs9 and wind. Say you start up the game and the wind is 250, then planes would land and takeoff from rwy 25. If you changed the wind to 070, you will not see a change until you select an airport outside of the continent you are on and then afterwards reload the original airport...sounds confusing?1. Set wind to 250, planes will land/takeoff rwy252. Set wind to 070, planes still land/takeoff rwy2503. Load an airport from another continent4. Reload the original airport, planes land/takeoff from rwy 07...I don't know the exact distance you have to be away from the original airport but I have found that being on the same continent doesn't seem to work.

There's an easy rule of thumb : never ever land with a tailwind. It is far more preferable to land with a crosswind (not exceeding 30 knots on a 90 degrees cross) than with tailwind. If there is really no other alternative then the maximum allowed tailwind is only 10kts.Thomas

Guest pez_man

Great Webpage-tips, they go directly into my favourites folders, thanks!rgrdsfredrik granfors

Guest lbb

The thing is, once the wind is set, the AI traffic will use the appropriate runway for that wind and they won't change their mind even when you change the wind. I have found that if you set AI traffic to 0 and then change the wind, you will get a different runway. (In the registered FSUIPC I believe you can even assign a button to set the AI to 0, making this an easier option than reloading airports IMHO.)Leo Bakker