Sign in to follow this  

Next Gen P4 and Flight Simulator both very scalable...

I must say. I'm not bragging, but...My P4 2.2 Northwood1 Gig of RamGeforce 4 TI4600Asus P4T-E moboAudigy SoundcardPedals and Yoke, USBStick and HOTAS, USBViewSonic Monitor, 19"This system has grown over the years, and recently upgraded from a Willamette 1.7 to the Northwood 2.2. I am happy to report that Intel has licked their wounds, and produced a processor that is what the P4 was claimed to be. It seems that MS did the same with the venerable Flight Simulator series, driven largely, I'm sure by the debacle that 2000 was. The above referenced system, runs with everything max, 1600 X 1200, 32bit, without reflective Water. ATC is 90%. It never slows down. No matter what you see on the screen, slideshows are non-existent. Nothing less than liquid-smooth frame rate. Ever.I attribute the two big pluses on this system (when dealing with flight sim) as the Northwood

Guest PaulL01

Hi Braun,Glad to hear your enjoying the power! :) those things are real screemers especially if you team up A 2.5 giger to a good 533FSB motherboard with the PC1066 ECC ram! Hows 12455 in the 3DMark2001SE with a non O/C card (TI4600) and CPU(2.5) sound! Alas, I will simply wait for AMD's Barton and plug in what ever I can find at a decent price to hold me over for a while.Take Care

>I must say. I'm not bragging, but... >EverBraun,And I must say I am a bit sceptical but who knows .... I heard similar claims before but when pressed for details there were a lot of "qualifiers" for this performance.Install the HongKong scenery (vhhh_tk.zip), with static aircraft, dense scenery setting, fly on final in something like DF737 or ERJ-145, in cockpit view, visibility about 5 miles, and tell me how fluid it is. If you get something like 18 fps I will be extremely impressed. BTW I am too old to take "fluid 10 fps" with a straight face ...I do hope you stress-test your set up by using some scenery/aircraft add-ons. If you are using no add-ons then I don't need your system since my PIII-500 can cope with default FS2002 pretty well.Oh, 1024x768x32 would be just fine.Cheers,Michael J.

Braun's got it right. No qualifiers here. With Thomas K.'s HK scenery and the PSS Airbus my framerate never drops below 20. The low point is about a km from the checkerboard, the fps rises to 25 or so right at the turn, and is 30+ at the threshold. And that's with a GF2 Ultra running 1024x768x32 with 2X AA. Great stuff these P4's. (2.2a Northwood @ 2750Mhz on stock HSF, TH7II-R, 512MB 40ns Samsung).Trip

Checkerboard approach ?Are we talking about the same airport ?I am talking about the *new* HongKong International - by Thomas Kwong.Michael J.

Hey Michael: Where is the scenery you wish me to test?Cheers,bt

Guest JonP01

Hi Braun,I can't quite remember what your previous graphics card was but I seem to remember you got your new Geforce 4 several months ago and it replaced a Geforce 3. Reason I ask is my second machine needs a graphics update and I'm thinking of putting my Geforce 3 into it and getting a Geforce 4 for my main machine. I suppose I could wait but I am concerned the next generation of graphics cards won't support Win9x or ME. And an OS update isn't on the agenda until I completely replace the whole systems.Also, how do you compare the performance compared to the Geforce 3 when you have anistropic filtering on (which I assume you do)? Did you really find the extra 64Mb video memory worthwhile? Thanks.

1 Gig, Samsung, PC800, one pair double sided, one single.bt

My system is almost close. Are you getting blurry textures though?Tim

>Hey Michael: Where is the scenery you wish me to test? >Well, I think it is on Avsim, free. You got the file name above.Michael J.

I'm sorry Michael. I didn't read the post closely enough and just jumped to Kai Tak. The CLK scenery flies pretty well also. With everything turned on and maxxed the low fps to 7R was 19.1 and the average is somewhere around 20-22. On 25L it's a little slower - the low briefly dipped to 13.1 but the average is up around 18-20. (Visibility 30 miles, 1028x768x32, no FSAA). I know that I've limited out the GF2 as there is no noticeable fps difference between the CPU at 2200Mhz and OC'd to 2750Mhz (these are the fps numbers at 2200Mhz). It'll be interesting to see how Braun does with the GF4 - it's should be quite a bit better.Trip

I was until I upgraded to XP.Cheers,bt

If the above is correct and while on final to this airport, in cockpit view, I will be able to always stay above 13 fps then it is indeed a breakthrough. The best I have seen with this scenery on my PC was about 3 fps !. I found this scenery add-on to be the worst-case so I figure any other scenery will run even better.Michael J.

DX8.1.All my personal opinion, of course.Best,bt