Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

Yoke sensitivity with CH products and real life opinions

I think with my CH yoke configured for maximum sensitivity it handles the NG and other add-ons just perfectly with respect to aileron roll or banks. I feel however that the elevator sensitivity is too much. I find it hard to even make slight adjustments when manually flying my final without porpoising like a dolphin. Can anyone provide me with some insight into how the NG should respond in the real world as it pertains to a CH yoke adjustment. I'm not using the CH control manager or FSUIPC, just the windows XP and FS9 settings.Thanks,Chris

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Chris,I can confirm your porpoising dolphin. ;-)I have in fact been wondering about my CH yoke settings myself lately. This is in my case not related to the NG but to all planes. I'm using the CH Control Manager and there you can tweak the axises to be less sensitive at the beginning to get more sensitive at the full deflection. Maybe you should try it? I'm going to tweak my settings to see what I can come up with.Any other ideas? Does someone have figures on pitch rates on different column angles? That would come in handy to verify the settings? Cheers,

Guest Rudo

Hi,I bought a CH Yoke just last week and had the same problem. I flew either up or down... nothing in between. Also it was very hard to keep the plane level. Then I installed CH Control Manager and callibrated my Yoke using this program. Flying manualy has become much more easy after that... So instal and use CH Control Manager and callibrate...Rudi

Guest Buck Bolduc

My problem after install yoke & peddels was that I could not take off. No deflection. I then calibrated using MS calibrator in control panel. That done I went into flight sim and adjusted the sensitivitys/null zone. Violla, perfect, if I let go of the yoke when straight a level the 737 maintains it's alt. It's smooth as silk going up or down. Of course I had to adjust the trim with altitude hold off to maintain level flight in good weather first. I tried to install C & H software to no avail. Kept getting an error. cleaned ot the temp file, still no good. Perhaps C & H software likes WinXP better than Win2k, I use win2k. I never got arround to callimg C & H, in their defense! As I type this post, FedEx is on it's way with a new mobo and a Athlon64 3400 with 1 GB Corsair XMS llpt 400Mhz memmory. I think I'll pick up WinXP it should come with SP1 now? SP 2 should be availible shortly, if it's not allready?If the new rig dont run A FS with the ATI 9800Pro, well I'm jumping out my window.What the hell, I only have first floor windows?Regards

My problem after countless calibration was not feeling as though I could rotate at the proper speed. It took a lot of pull and time to get the bird off the ground. I also think the issue of the CH yoke becoming sticky and needing lubrication (silicone based, NOT petroleum or WD-40) might help since the amount of force, albeit minute, to reverse the direction of elevation is enough to cause large fluctuations. I'm going to try this today.Chris

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest chris_kirk

Chris,Throughout my years flying various incarnations of MSFS I have got through three different joystick/throttle assemblies and am now using a CH yoke and peddles. Perhaps I have just been unlucky, but I have found ALL controllers to be over-sensitive in the pitch axis. By fiddling with the sensitivities and control accelerations in the CH Control Panel I now have a setup which, while not perfect, is the best I've ever had. Moral: keep trying... you'll get there!Regarding lubricating the yoke shaft, the advice I received direct from CH was to use a good silicon based grease. Did that and found that it improved the feel beyond recognition! Also heard that a lithium based lubricant will do the trick... but didn't hear it from CH, so try at your own risk!Good luck,Chris Kirk

AllThese are good tips, guys!! And here's one from me as well. Check and make sure your FS joystick sensitivities are set for max sensitivity and min null zone. Discovered I had my settings reverted to default values (a nono :-)). Null zones are not good to have if you want the fine tuning working on the axises. Do the tweaking in CH Control Manager. This made a difference on my porpoising! ;-)Cheers,

Guest Buck Bolduc

I did have one problem with the yoke. When I first installed fs9.The yoke sits on a shelf over my monitor when not in use, OK! If I loaded the MS 747 or 737 and the mixture lever on the yoke was not all the way back, big trouble, after mounting it on my work station when I pulled it back the jet engins would die, like you hit the fuel cutoff switch. What the hell I said to myself, mixture control on a jet? Sure enough tried it while watching the throttle quadrent and yes, fuel cutoff. I deleted the keys for the mixture and prop assignments while flying the civel jets. If you accidently move it forward and then back while taking off, fuel cutoff, it's tough to do a restart when your 500 - 600 feet off the ground.I dont know if PMDG 737's act like that?With MS the prop lever liable to adjust the pitch on the compressor blades or somthing, one never knows.Regards