Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoghead

Speed Tape

Guest hoghead

I need some clarification. The flap schedule placard indicates max speeds for deployment. When I deploy flaps well under those stipulated speeds RED stills shows up on the speed tape. Say for example v-ref 130. Should I be at or very near that speed before I go to flaps 30? The aim of my question is really this: How should I interpret the red in the speed tape? Should I fly so as not to show any red at all?Thanks,John FranklinVictorville, CA

Guest tmetzinger

>I need some clarification. The flap schedule placard>indicates max speeds for deployment. When I deploy flaps well>under those stipulated speeds RED stills shows up on the speed>tape. Say for example v-ref 130. Should I be at or very near>that speed before I go to flaps 30? The aim of my question is>really this: How should I interpret the red in the speed tape?>Should I fly so as not to show any red at all?>>>Thanks,>>>John Franklin>Victorville, CAAvoid the RED. The red shows the limit speed for the flaps, above that speed risks damage. There's a little yellow region as well where the flaps are ok.In general, you want to be at or below the "green bug" speed for the flaps you have, before you extend the next notch. Thus, you'd want to be at the green bug speed for 25 before extending to 30

Guest A32X

Hi Timothy,What does the little yellow region tell the pilot? Buffet?Paul

It's the overspeed region for the next flap setting (at least on the classics)Regards,Mark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Guest jdrago

Hi Timothy,Perhaps I need some clarification on this too. I notice that if I wait for the green bug to creep up, the plane begins to pitch up (3.5 to 4.5+ angle of attack) too much before the green bug ever gets there, so I deploy flaps sooner to keep the nose down. My basic procedures (which may be wrong are as follows:- On approach, slow to 220- When given vectors to intercept the ILS runway, I slow to 170, and begin deploying flaps (again, to keep the pitch down (assuming I flying at level altitude)).- I intercept the localizer, and then sit at 170 until the glideslope begins to move. I then reduce to 150, flaps 15 or 25 depending.- I then slow to landing speed (125), flaps 40... and touchdown.I guess for me I have never been able to reach the green speed bugs properly (no red bricks though), and I'm not sure how to make sure they are set properly. Perhaps it's an FMC issue I haven't taken care of.Thanks in advance,John Drago

Guest Andrew Potts

Hi John,There are lots of "ways" of doing this but this is a valid airline way...1. Accelerating.On T/O, the FD will command V2+20.At 400' AAL select LNAV.At 1000' AAL select A/P to command A.At 1500' the ac will select climb thrust (N1 mode).Select UP speed at 3000' AAL.When accelerating, select Flap 1.When at 1 speed, select Flap up.When "Flaps up, no lights" you're safe to select VNAV.2. Slowing down.Fly a nice profile so that you have reduced speed to UP speed at about 15 miles.Select flap 1, at no more than UP speed +10. Fly at 1 speed.Select flap 5, at no more than 1 speed +10. Fly at 5 speed.Intercept LOC.Just before G/S intercept, select gear down and Flap 15. Fly at 15 speed. Arm the speedbrake.At 1300 AAL, select flap 30 and fly at VREF+5.You will now fly the last 1000' in a stable configuration.Land.NOTES:You only select flap at 10 knots above the appropriate speed to minimise wear.The upper red and yellow bands indicate ultimate speed limits for this and the next flap setting - it's bad to get near these!Don't bother with flap 40 on a 700, it's just noisy and thirsty. We only use 40 for short runways or when dealing with tailwinds. The 700 has very slow approach speeds and you find you just cause a backlog behind you.When you get good at this, observe a 160 knots to 4 miles instruction - this is quite normal.Try and have the gear down by 2000' AAL and have the aircraft stable in landing config by 1000' AAL.All this makes for a nice easy T/O and approach, and you will have the satisfaction of doing it just like it's done for real!HTHAndrew

>Fly a nice profile so that you have reduced speed to UP speed>at about 15 miles.>Select flap 1, at no more than UP speed +10. Fly at 1 speed.>Select flap 5, at no more than 1 speed +10. Fly at 5 speed.>Intercept LOC.>Just before G/S intercept, select gear down and Flap 15. Fly>at 15 speed. Arm the speedbrake.Thanks for the info Andrew. Could you just clarify what it means when you say "reduce speed to UP speed" and "select flap 5, at no more that 1 speed. What is "up speed" and "1 speed" and at the end fly at "15" speed. I am note sure what up, 1, and 15 speed are. Thanks.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Andrew Potts

Sean,UP speed is the speed indicated by the little "UP" on the speed tape. Likewise 1 speed, or "Flaps 1 speed" is the speed indicated by the little "1" on the speed tape. So when you are clean and flying within 10 knots above the little "UP", select flaps 1 and then move the little speed bug to neatly cover the "1" indicator on the speed tape."Flaps UP speed" is sometimes called "clean speed" - in fact we use that call because we are dual rated 300/NG and it keeps the calls the same for the two types.You don't fly fixed speeds on the NG, because these little speed indicators move around with aircraft weight. Keeping it simple, if you have flap 5 selected and are flying at 5 speed, then you are safe for normal manoevering.Andrew

Guest jdrago

Hi Andrew,Everything being as normal as possible, what are the normal climb an decsent rates? I use VS for most altitude changes, and use 2500 for climb, and the same for decsent.What are the proper VS rates at what altitude (generally).Thanks,John

Guest Andrew Potts

John,You should not use VS except for special circumstances. Climb should be in VNAV and descent in VNAV initially, then LVL CH at lower altitudes. You want to get up high as quick as possible, stay there for as long as possible, and descend at flight idle all the way down. You use VS only occasionally, for a slow climb or descent, normally for just a few thousand feet, and for good reasons.Andrew