Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Royal Gorge - Colorado

Has anyone flown through the Royal Gorge in Colorado just outside of Canon City? If so - could you send me the coords for the bridge?In case anyone is wondering, the world's highest suspension bridge is over the Royal Gorge, 1053' above the Arkansas River. I hope that it has been included in MSFS2002. I was there (at the real bridge) last week and took at helicopter tour of the bridge and gorge - truly spectacular!Regards,FAL205

I think MS missed that one. I toured it myself and didn't see anything of a gourge.Been there in real life though in 1986, nice place.Brent

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Ahhh, the Royal Gorge. Although I haven't tried to spot it in 2002, I also was there years ago when we finished a 150 mile bike ride from Denver to the Gorge......ahhh, the younger days. :-lolRegards,http://home.earthlink.net/~snyders2000/name.jpg

Guest Heather 636

Bummer! Now if it's not there, how am I supposed to bungee-jump off of it? Would LOVE to try that someday. What a rush!Looks like another project for the scenery builders.Cheers!Heather

No, sadly, not in FS.We took a day trip from our camping spot at Molas lake to "The Gorge".Very neat place. The tram ride actually is higher than the bridge. Funny, I recall all sorts of signs on the bridge, but one stood out, "No Fishing from Here", or something like that - obviously a joke, you would need 1000+ feet of line and would never be able to see your bobber. :) Most likely a Very Nice flight Scott. I've never flown near the Gorge, so I can only assume that the tram cables are almost invisible from the air - kinda like some power lines around Freeway Airport near Annapolis.

Guest Scott Campbell

Kathy,>Most likely a Very Nice flight Scott. I've never flown near >the Gorge, so I can only assume that the tram cables are >almost invisible from the air - kinda like some power lines >around Freeway Airport near Annapolis. It was beautiful. It was before all the developments went in and was the only thing out there. Leave it to us silly Americans to build a bridge (which my grandfather was part of, btw), that goes nowhere. It goes from perfectly safe and sound solid ground to a mesa. If you keep driving, watch that first step - it's a doozy!As for flying, there were some serious rules. Flying lower than 1000' above the bridge would quickly introduce one to the local and not-so-local FSDO's. Flying UNDER the bridge would get one immediately jailed pretty much forever. And these days, who knows what will happen if you even get near the place without a myriad of permissions.One really cool thing - a balloon was flying about 500' ABOVE us!I'll have to see if I can convert the 8mm film to pics (I said it was a long time ago ;-)).

Guest Heather 636

Speaking of invisible cables, if you ever find yourself following I-15 north of Lake Elsinore in California, BEWARE your altitude. I was lower than I should admit, somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-700 feet, enjoying the scenery from the open cockpit of my Jenny when directly in front of me was some sort of cable that stretches from one hilltop to another. It's been quite a few years ago and may not even be there anymore but it sure woke me up in a hurry, followed by some immediate avoidance maneuvering. Not an experience I would care to repeat.Regards,Heather