Sign in to follow this  
Guest KFD

AI Aircraft

Guest KFD

Hi All,I notice in a lot of screen shots that people have a lot of other aircraft within the sim. Great for that imersive feeling but what is it like on frame rates? I've never used AI because not sure how and it takes me so many days to get FS9 up to where I liked it before the Crash and inevitable re-install!! What is the best way to start to use AI if its necessary?Kevin

Guest ba747heavy

Kevin,Depending on your specs, your system will either take a moderate hit, or it will die. My XP2000 just about dies with UT and the PMDG 737...I get about 10 FPS, which is just barely acceptable for me. Your milage may vary.As for AI, I personally use Ultimate Traffic (www.flight1.com). Fine AI, even thought you have to pay for it.Freeware, you can try www.projectai.com, which has plenty of free airplanes and flightplans.For the more advanced AI user, try searching google for MRAI(Most Realistic AI). This group puts out flightplans for airliner, and is really a nifty site.

Guest KFD

Fred,Thank you - I've got a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with 1Gb ram so might give it a try,Kevin

Guest ba747heavy

Ohh yea, you can run 100% just fine with your specs :)

Guest tmetzinger

>Ohh yea, you can run 100% just fine with your specs :) not really.with my 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and ATI RADEON 9800 Pro 128 MB, I get 24 FPS except in heavy clouds or in the worst case (landing at LGA or JFK).But that's with 15% AI. I get 2-4 fps back by turning it off. Sometimes when flying online I get single digit frame rates landing at MDW.I expect when I get my new 3.4 GHz CPU I'll be better able to run AI around 70%.If history is any guide... I'll have FS9/PMDG running well on my rig in 2005, and then FS2006 will come out and be a dog.

Guest Paul Heaney

Fred Reccomended Ultimate Traffic, Its a great program, but product support from them is TERRIBLE. Start with Project AI, It's free, and will get you going, and go from there.

Guest ba747heavy

Tim,I beg to differ. It all depends on what this gentlemens version of 'acceptable fps' is. On my rig, with FPS locked at 20 FPS, I get 10-12 FPS with AI on. This is on an XP2000, which is far a far cry from top of the line. This is with AI at 100%, UT with all airliners compiled in, NEMAI(now thats a killer), a huge GA bgl from some fellow whos name I can't remember, and default M$ clouds(3D at 100%). I get what I call accepable FPS. Now your version of acceptable may be different than mine ;)The point to this post is this: I think, based on his hardware, he will get acceptable FPS by my standards. I am basing this on the fact that his hardware is significatly better than mine.

Guest ba747heavy

Paul,Now that I don't know about :) My experience with them has been 'buy, install, run, use'. I haven't had the pleasure(?) of having to get tech support :)Your recommendation for PAI is a good one. I used to use PAI; I just got lazy and decided to pay for it ;)

Kevin:I subscribe to computer Pilot magazine and they are running a two part article on Understanding and Customizing AI Traffice in FS2004. You might want to check your local book store and pick up a copy. I'm still reading it but they give some excellent suggestions and web sites to pick up utilities (freeware) to create, change, add, etc. the AI aircraft in FS9, along with additional web site to download AI traffic and flight plans.Bob DemarestBirmingham, Al.

KevinHave no fears with Ultimate Traffic. It's very simple to install, and if you like you can just leave it as it comes out of the box, with no tweaking or adjustments. That way it'll be easy to re-install, if the need should arise. Suddenly, your airports and skies will be much busier places! The aircraft used are from PAI, so they look good, but they can lower your framerates if you have a high traffic setting. Again, don't worry too much about this. Just crank it up and down as required. I tend to use low settings - say 20% - when using the PMDG 737 on my system (XP2000, 1 Gb RAM, ATI 600PRO), but wind it up to 100% if I'm in a less resource-demanding plane. UT has a very informative and friendly forum over on their website, and which also offers counselling for those addicted to virtual plane-spotting. RegardsIan

Guest KFD

Thanks Everyone for your time and advice - I'll give it a go but I'll be straight back when my system crashes!!!Kevin

I have Ultimate Traffic running at 90% all sliders maxed on a 3.0 ghz 800 fsb Radeon 9800pro with 1.5gb RAM. I can even fly into Sim Flyers DFW and LAX pretty well. FPS drop to 11-12 but it is smooth so I dont worry about the numbers too much.