Sign in to follow this  
drek2

737NG with Multiple Monitors

Is anyone else running PMDG 737NG with multiple monitors? I just installed two Nvidia 16MB PCI cards in my system to display the overhead (left monitor) FMC and Throttle Quadrant (right monitor). Main panel is runnning on Center Monitor on the Radeon 9800 Pro. I experience very predictable stuttering in both video and sound when I have Overhead, Throttle and FMC displayed. When I close them, it's smooth as glass. I ran the same set up on my old system (Windows 2000 Professional) and never had the stuttering problem. I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this. I've really gotten used to running my 3-monitor set up. I've tried the suggested tweaks and am also running the latest ATI drivers. The NVIDA drivers are old but I was not able to install the latest. I've also maxed out the VM setting. If anyone is successful at this and have any tweaks or suggestions, they would be welcomed.Thanks.Pete in KORDABS Awesome 3500P4 3.0 GHz 800Mhz 512K L2 HT RTASUS P4P800S 848P ICH5 RET AMI BIOS V. 8.00.09 Build 10/23/03RADEON 9800PRO 128MB1 GB DDRAM 512MB PC-3200 160GB MAXTOR 6Y160M0 SATASOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS PCIWin XP Home SP1

Guest SIX

I have the Gefarce 4 Ti 4600 and I run two 19" monitors.The one directly in front runs the main panel. The 19" on the left runs the pedistle, FMC, and main gauges on pop out. I haven't had a problem in the world. I also have an old Matrox Mellenium 2d/3d PCI card that runs a 17" monitor. Sometimes I set it up atop my main 19" and run the overhead. Works great.Wilson HinesUAL006VHQCCSenior Vice President, Corporate Communicationshttp://virtual.united.com --------------------------------------Proficiencies: PSS 747,777, A32x, CS 727,PMDG 737-700---------------------------------------FS2002|ActiveSky|FSRealTime|FSBuild2|FSNav|Jep SimCharts2|ACLoaderhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/checkcapt.jpghttp://heavylhc.com/images/av/anna.jpg

Again, I'm not certain why having the Overhead panel open on its own monitor running its own PCI card and the throttle quadrant and FMC running on another monitor and its own PCI card would cause deterioration of the main panel (stuttering in video and sound) on the Radeon 9800. I did not see this behavior when running PMDG on my old system which was running FS2002/Windows 2000. Does XP handle the PCI overhead differently?As I said, closing the panels does cause the main monitor (with PMDG 2-D panel) to revert to smooth operation. Pete in KORD

Guest mmcevilley

>Again, I'm not certain why having the Overhead panel open on>its own monitor running its own PCI card and the throttle>quadrant and FMC running on another monitor and its own PCI>card would cause deterioration of the main panel (stuttering>in video and sound) on the Radeon 9800. I did not see this>behavior when running PMDG on my old system which was running>FS2002/Windows 2000. Does XP handle the PCI overhead>differently?The problem you are experiencing is unique to FS9 - not your video cards. The problem occurs when you have h/w acceleration enabled on the additional PCI cards installed in your system. As you pointed out, when the panels displayed by the additional PCI card(s) are closed - everything is smooth. When they are enabled - you get a regular (mine was every 11 seconds) stuttering in video and audio (sounded like a short machine gun burst).The solution is to disable h/w acceleration on the PCI cards. You do that by going into Control Panel -> Display -> Settings. Then select the monitor attached to the PCI card. Then select Advanced -> Troubleshoot.The Troubleshoot dialog will have a slider that sets the level of h/w acceleration. It will likely be fully right - maximum h/w acceleration. Back it off until the stuttering goes away. I have mine set to the third tick-mark from the left.Repeat the above for each independent monitor attached to the PCI cards.Edit: The above refers to running in Windowed Mode. I do not fly in Full Screen mode and do not know if the above solution works in that mode.If you have any questions send me an email (mcevilley@earthlink.net)-michael

I run 4 monitors using a dual head Radeon 8500 for two and two Radeon 7000 (32 mb) PCI cards. System is a 2.5 ghz Athlon and 1 gig of DDR ram. No stuttering or pauses with all sliders maxed out...(full screen mode by the way) Mike B.

Michael: Thanks for your detailed reply and suggestion. I will give this a try when I get home tonight. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question.Pete in KORD

Guest SIX

Sorry about the slow reply, I have had the flu big time for 48 hours.I run FS 2002.ThanksWilson HinesUAL006VHQCCSenior Vice President, Corporate Communicationshttp://virtual.united.com --------------------------------------Proficiencies: PSS 747,777, A32x, CS 727,PMDG 737-700---------------------------------------FS2002|ActiveSky|FSRealTime|FSBuild2|FSNav|Jep SimCharts2|ACLoaderhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/checkcapt.jpghttp://heavylhc.com/images/av/anna.jpg

Pete,Please report back as to how it went!I have this problem as well! I'm running Radeon 9800 Pro 256 dual which runs two monitors. Third one is run by a PCI voodoo3 2000. I also get the steady (every couple of seconds) stutters, which ruins my PMDG experience entirely. I never fly with single monitor, because I have used the 3-monitor setup with PIC767 for like 2 years.Tero

PPL(A)

Guest mmcevilley

>Michael,>>Tried your suggestion.>IT WORKS !!!!!!!>Lots of thank !>>Hessel Oosten NetherlandsGreat, and enjoy. You sound just as excited as I was when it worked for me. Credit goes to the guy who posted the tip on the MSFS forum.-michael