Sign in to follow this  
Guest peterpc12james

How are frame rates on a new P4 3.0GZ?

Guest peterpc12james

I am thinking of getting a new Dell P4 3.0 with 1 gig,radeon 9800 machine. I now have a ol' P4 1.5 with 512 meg and 9700 pro....and NG works good, better than ever expected... with 20 fps on takeoff and landing, sometimes more, especially if flying in the ultra smooth Caribbean area (why is that all the airports in the Carib, even with autogen on max...soooooo smmmmmooooth??) , no stutters and LCD set to around 15 or 20....will I have a pure doubling of performance?!?! wow! maybe?Peter

Guest Ray CYYZ

Nothing against Dell, but a mom & pop shop machine will be a much better deal unless you really need onsite support for your flight sim ;)My clone = $2200 CDN, Equal Dell = $5400 CDNI can buy 2 and keep the second for spare parts for warranty purposes.Ray

Guest Ken_Salter

I just got a P4 3.0 HT, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB SerialATA, GeForce 256 MB RAM, CD/DVD from a mom&pop on ebay for $800...waiting for shipping to bring it...(no monitor or OS, btw)

Hi,I have an Dell XPS with that setup. With the NG sitting ready for takeoff at KSEA and display sliders on the "high" side, I'm getting an average of 30 FPS with the 2D and 20 FPS with the VC. Flight is always smooth.Charlie

Guest captandy

I have an ABS rig and I am more than happy with it.Strictly platfomed for gaming and the system was under 2K.Receivbed 01/04 and has been troublefree since.FS9 runs smooothAndy

Guest B742FAN

If you really want to spend that kind of money alienware is a better option. But I built my own machine its so much cheaper.__Josh

Guest ChristophIllmer

This setup is running great. I'm running the same setup but built it myself. It's much cheaper and you have better choices of the components. With all sliders maxed out I am always getting 25 frames locked at 25 in the 2D and spot and about 22 in VC.

Guest benw

I've got a Dell Dimension with that set up, 3.06 P4, 1 GB of RAM, DDR, Radeon 9800 Pro and have been very happy with it. I had all the screen flicker isssues that others have reported with Radeon cards but the latest set of drivers have solved that for me. Now the sim looks great, but oddly enough the frame rates seem to have suffered a little.With the PMDG 737, with everything maxed out on the ground at KSEA I get around 15-20 in the VC, 20-25 in the air in 2D and 25 average in Spot mode. With default aircraft, it jumps to 35-40. I tried WxRe, but it killed the frame rates dead with the PDMG 737.PSS's A340 Pro is worse though. I REALLY struggle in 2D with that - average is less than 10 fps!

Guest keattchr

I have the dell 3Gz, 800FSB, 1Gb Ram, Ati 9800 Pro.I have the clouds set to max with visibility at 60 miles, cloud draw 50 miles. Most sliders high to max but autogen at dense.I have frame rates fixed at 25 and get that almost everywhere. With a lot of weather and finals to a big airport, frames can drop to 18'ish but on the whole everything remains smooth.If I turn off fixed FPS and just tone the settings down to average, medium weather then FPS can be an average of 55 with spurts to 100fps!I like all the eye candy so am very happy with 25fps with a slight drop in busy situations. My old P4 1.7, Ti4400, 512 Ram struggled to maintain above 5fps in situations as described above!Ray Keattch.

Do you guys have the Clouds Fix V2 by Chris and the Autogen files modified (XLM)or the default Clouds textures and Autogen in FS2004 ? Carlos :-eek

Guest rvdlaak

Hi Peter,I have a Dell Dimension 8200, 2.5Ghz, with 256 RAM, and just bought the radeon 9800 Pro (128 mem). No problems there at all - even using PMDG at 1600x1200, maxed out sliders on addon scenery and like EGKK (with 100% 3D clouds on a rainy day) produces no performance lag - so a higher spec machine will be nice.The key here is the graphics card as far as I am concerened - with the NVidia GeForce Ti 4600 (which I just swapped out) I had to halve the sliders and turn off a fair bit to get a decent frame rate (especially on a cloudy day) ....I do not use the VC so I can't comment on that :-)cheers,Ronniehttp://ronnie.vandelaak.com/baw644.gif