Sign in to follow this  
dnunes

Maps for FS 2002

Is there 3rd party software that will produce a map showing your exact location on the map while you are flying a route in FS 2002?I was thinking it would be nice if it would show your aircraft moving on the map like the web sites showed the location of each commercial flight of Delta and the rest of the airlines before 9/11/01.Stationair

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Stationair,you can't go wrong with Flight Line Avionics: www.reality-xp.com especially since v1.2 release. There is a demo version now available to try out before buy!Hope it helps!

You're getting lots of options.I always fly in the U.S. running GPSOut (a freeware utility that outputs your GPS coordinates to any GPS capable program) and Topo USA, which shows me the topography of the region and a moving dot as I fly (I can even see elevations, airports, landmarks, mountain, lake and river names, etc.).I've learned more about geography in a month flying this way than in my entire life.

Guest RonB49

Hi kelleym,Could you tell me more about Topo USA? Where can it be found? R-

Topo USA is made by Delorme, probably the world leader in mapping software (at least for the general public). You can do a web search for their site, but I think it's just www.delorme.com.They also make Eartha, which is a global mapping program (and which does respond to GPS as well) but it's no where near as detailed as Topo USA (probably due to the unavailable of USGS info for the rest of the world -- that's changing and I suspect in a couple of years we're going to see detailed info for everywhere).

I found the best, as in cheap, place to get Delorme map software is from eBay. Save money and buy outdated versions for 1/4 to 1/2 of the cost of the latest versions. For a moving map on a second computer, I have Street Atlas USA 6.0 that I paid $15.00. I know where I am real quick looking at the "road map". Plus it is full screen on the second computer. Bob

Guest PhilC

Or buy FSFlightMax and a few sectionals. It will show you exactly where you are on the sectional. Great for VFR!

Need some help, guys.I have Streets 7 by Delorme, Earthmate GPS receiver, GPSOUT.zip, and 2 Monitors.I would really appreciate any help for setting them up with FS2k2. As detailed as can be.If it is too long, you may email at abrahamabyad@hotmail.comThanks.Abeabrahamabyad@hotmail.com

I've been using GPSOut with Microsoft Autoroute and it worked beautifully

Are you referring to MS Autoroute 2002 for Europe? And if so, is there a 10-15 second delay in updating the plane's location - as is the case with MS's Streets and Trips for the US - or does the map follow the plane in real time? Also, are there any topographical features shown or identified, such as lakes and mountains?

Yes, Microsoft Autoroute 2002 for EuropeThere is a little delay, but almost not noticeable. If I remember correctly the delay can be tweaked in the parameter "interval" in the Gpsout.iniAnd yes, the maps have lakes and mountains. In Autoroute you can select to see "road map", "terrain map" or "political map"I had FS2002 running in one computer, with GPSout, and then connected it to a laptop running Autoroute with a serial cable. It worked perfect, as if I connected my Garmin GPS, but showing the position of the plane on the map. Nice.

This is all great to know. I started with Streets and Trips for the US, then graduated to TopoUSA. I've since been looking for a similar program for Europe, and it looks like Autoroute 2002 may be it until a TopoEurope comes out, if ever. In addition to Autoroute 2002, I've also been looking at Route 66 Route Europe 2001-2002. Do you or anyone else have any experience with this program, and if so, how does it compare to Autoroute? They're priced about the same and appear to have similar features.I have the same type of GPSOut setup you do, and am very satisfied with it. I've also been looking at using FSFlightMax for a European moving map. However, it doesn't have networking or null modem capability yet, and I've not been able to figure out if you can increase the size of the map window. After having a full screen moving map on a 20-inch monitor driven by an old computer, it's real hard to get used to FSFlightMax's 3x5 window on the main monitor.