Sign in to follow this  
dnunes

Maps for FS 2002

I am repeating my plea, could one of you guys give me an outline on how to set the whole thing with the specs I have below?I have Streets 7 by Delorme, Earthmate GPS receiver, GPSOUT.zip, and 2 Monitors.Thanks.Abeabrahamabyad@hotmail.com

Abe,It's pretty straightforward. You unzip the Gpsout program and put it in your FS MODULES directory (make sure you put it and the Gpsout.ini there -- that was my biggest mistake in trying to get things to work).Then you edit the .ini file for your particular program -- in this case the Delorme software is pretty straightfoward, I think I just used the defaults, but the .ini file is well documented in this regard. If you want to run it on the same computer (as opposed to using a laptop) then you need to have the serial out of that computer go to another serial. So you need two serial ports (on my new computer it only had one so I ended up buying a USB serial port and connecting it to my one serial port). You need to connect the two ports together with a null modem -- this is just an adapter that switches the input/outputs (so the serial ports can talk to each other) and you can pick one up for around $15.Then you run FS, and start up your map program. Put the map program in your other monitor (the other one from FS). In the map program (and I don't have Streets so I can only speak for Topo by Delorme) you tell it to search for the GPS device, and it starts tracking. Switch back to FS and as you fly the program will track it in the other monitor.Give it a shot and if you end up with specific questions we'll try and answer them.

Abe, as I recall, it's all in the directions to GPSOut. Just connect the machines with a null modem cable - a special kind of serial cable. Then install GPSOut on the main machine and the map program on the second machine. Make sure you don't have a Palm cradle attached to either machine, and if you ever did, remove the Palm software to free up the serial port. If you want a Palm cradle to share the serial port, it's a lot more complicated but it can be done. Then just launch your map program and configure it for receiving GPS input. I have no experience with your map program so I can't help you there. Then launch FS 2002, load a flight, and the plane's location should appear on your map on the second machine.

Oops, in my haste to reply I failed to notice that you have two monitors but only one machine. So follow the previous poster's instructions, not mine. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you gentlemen for your response and instructions.I'll give it a go.Abe

I have MS Streets and Places. Will FS 2002 work with that? Gosh, that would be terrific.I suppose, if it does, you will have to do an alt/tab everytime you want to look at your position on Streets and Places.Stationair

Either that or run it on a second monitor (assuming you have a graphics card that supports it) which is what I do with Topo USA.Or... if you have a laptop or other computer you can run it from there. With either option you can watch your position as you fly, a lot better than switching back and forth.

I have MS Streets and Trips. How do you use it with FS2002? Do you have to have GPSout? Do you have to do an Alt/Tab everytime you look at the map in Streets and Trips when FS2002 is running?Stationair

I don't have but one monitor.Do you have to use GPSout if you are going to use the same monitor for FS2002 and MS Streets & Trips and use Alt/Tab to go back and forth?If you don't use GPSout, how do you connect FS2002 to Street & Trips?Stationair

Yes, you'll need GPSOut -- it sends the GPS "signal" so that your mapping software will respond. Having another monitor just means you have someplace else to display the other program at the same time but doesn't affect how you'll set up the connection.The mapping software is designed to receive these GPS signals from the serial port of the computer it's run on. So you'll need to connect the *same* computer's serial 1 out to its serial 2 in, for example, and you'll need to use a null modem (which reverses the pins and makes one an in to the other's out. A null modem usually costs around $15.

I have been following your discussion with interest. Where can I find GPSout.zip?Thanks in advance,I have already found it, so please ignore this message!

>You're getting lots of options.>>I always fly in the U.S. running GPSOut (a freeware utility>that outputs your GPS coordinates to any GPS capable program)>and Topo USA, which shows me the topography of the region and>a moving dot as I fly (I can even see elevations, airports,>landmarks, mountain, lake and river names, etc.).>>I've learned more about geography in a month flying this way>than in my entire life.>I have Microsoft Streets and Trips and it's on the same computer as Fllight Simulator 2002. Do I have to use a null modem cable to pick up the GPS from FS 2002 with Streets and Trips? If so how do I hook the cable up?John