Sign in to follow this  
Guest hirsch944

Questions about B1900 operations

Guest hirsch944

Hi, I am really enjoying the B1900, and look forward to similar Express products from PMDG. This really fits my need sometimes for a quick in-out-nobody gets hurt plane. But I had some small questions that perhaps r/w B1900 pilots (or turbo-prop pilots) could espouse upon.I've read the manuals and available checklists, but needed some clarification. I also understand that the PMDG 1900 is not a 100% simulated representation of the real B1900, but would like any information available.Auto-feather: applied during take-offs, turned off on cruise, and re-applied on approaches?? Is this correct? Is it used on cruise-decent? What is the main purpose of the AF? Prop-sync: I know what it does, just wanted to get an idea when it is really applied. Is it turned off for final approaches? Is there a time when you should not use it?Would the Yaw Damper be turned off during final in the real ship? Does it have a pronounced effect on the handling in the r/w plane? I ask, because I know that FS doesn't model the Y/D well generally.Anti-ice: Every checklist I've ever read for any plane states: As needed. And I know in the real world you can look out the window and sometimes see the need. But my understanding is that the engines on turbine turbo-props are extremely sensitive to changes in temperature. Especially cold from decent. I've always learned to be mindful of fuel mixture on decent to avoid 'freezing-out' the engines (my words) Is the Anti-ice used to keep the engine temperature stable in this application?Any help in these areas from you guys in the know would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps there are other simmers out there that have been 'over-thinking' the wonderfully simple PMDG Beechcraft Express? Dave HirschbuhlChief Operating OfficerEagle Express Virtual Airlineswww.EagleExpressVA.com

Guest speedbird747

Hi there. Thought I'd take a stab at this one and hope someone could correct me if I am wrong."Auto-feather: applied during take-offs, turned off on cruise, and re-applied on approaches?? Is this correct? Is it used on cruise-decent? What is the main purpose of the AF?"At my company we have the autofeather on for takeoff and climb. At cruise we turn it off and then back on through 10,000 ft. The main purpose of the AF is to dump the oil pressure out of the prop hub once the torque has fallen below 350 ft/lbs. This process automatically feathers the engine and reduces the huge amount of drag that an unfeathered prop would give."Prop-sync: I know what it does, just wanted to get an idea when it is really applied. Is it turned off for final approaches? Is there a time when you should not use it?"We use it at all times. If the props become out of sync you can turn it off then match the props manually to within 25RPM and turn the switch back on."Would the Yaw Damper be turned off during final in the real ship? Does it have a pronounced effect on the handling in the r/w plane? I ask, because I know that FS doesn't model the Y/D well generally."We turn the Y/D on at the after takeoff checks. Usually occuring after 400ft AAE. We turn it off at the Before Landing Checklist below the line which is usually 2 miles from the FAF on a precision approach or when the field is visual on a non precision. Flaps 35 are also applied at this point. The Y/D basically protects against something called Dutch Roll. This web page has a pretty good explanation on dutch roll if interested.(http://142.26.194.131/aerodynamics1/Stability/Page5.html)"Anti-ice: Every checklist I've ever read for any plane states: As needed. And I know in the real world you can look out the window and sometimes see the need. But my understanding is that the engines on turbine turbo-props are extremely sensitive to changes in temperature. Especially cold from decent. I've always learned to be mindful of fuel mixture on decent to avoid 'freezing-out' the engines (my words) Is the Anti-ice used to keep the engine temperature stable in this application?"There are all different types of ice protection systems on these types of A/C. On the 1900 whenever the engines are running the engine inlet area is being heated by routing exhaust air from one exhaust pipe through the inlet and then out the opposite exhaust pipe. The actual anti ice switches on the 1900 open what most people call the ice vanes. These are basically doors on the underside of the engine which open up and prevent ice or even FOD on the ground from being ingested into the compressor section of the engine. It is at the point in the engine that the ice would rather exit through the ice vanes than make the 180 degree turn to the compressor blades. We use anti ice for taxi to prevent FOD and turn it off for takeoff. If needed in flight we would use it but it is also in our checklist to be put on through 10,000 ft for the approach.Hope this info helps. If you have any more questions I'll try and answer them to the best of my knowledge.Keith

Great stuff guys! Answered some of my questions - off to the printer!Thanks,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest hirsch944

Keith,Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate hearing how it's done out there. Thanks for the link too, very informative. Even though the 1900 express isn't modeled 100% it's still great to get an insight as to how it operates in real life.Thanks again,Dave HirschbuhlChief Operating OfficerEagle Express Virtual Airlineswww.EagleExpressVA.com

Hi Keith,A follow-up question on the Y/D, why is it that you don't use it during t/o and landing? Doesn't it also help stabilize the t/o and landing roll on the runway?Until now I have almost exclusively flown the 737 and there you always turn the Y/D on as part of the receiving a/c checklist and it then remains on during the whole flight.Thanks in advance for any input,

Richard Åsberg

Would have loved an answer to this follow-up question on the operation of the Yaw Damper in the B1900 - anyone knows?

Richard Åsberg

Wonder if we're in luck and could get an answer to this now when the forum here at AVSIM is finally back online again ;-)?

Richard Åsberg

no technical answer from me, but I hate the yaw damper on takeoffs and landings because it gives me an overexaggerated rudder effect which makes it hard to keep in a straight line

That's a thought even though I haven't noticed any big difference myself, will do some testing and I'm still hoping maybe we could get a more "by the book" answer from maybe some real B1900 driver if anyone is around...? Not a big issue but would never the less be nice to know.

Richard Åsberg