Sign in to follow this  
Guest pagotan

Message to the PMDG development team

Guest pagotan

HelloAnyone having an opinion?Michael

Guest Ray CYYZ

What? You didn't like my explanation? ;(Ray

Michael-I've forwarded the topic along to Anthony and asked him to review/answer....Anthony is the FMC programmer- and he knows alot more about it than anyone else on the team. I have a hunch for an answer- but in the past when i've answered incorrectly it's created some problems for anthony- so I'm going to leave it to an expert....Sorry we didn't jump into the thread earlier- but between final development/beta testing he's busy- and I'm not sure frequenting the forum at all...RSR

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest pagotan

Hi Ray,Your explanation is good but academic. The question in the original post was more directed towards the PMDG FMC handling / modelling the transition altitudes in different parts of the world according to local regulations.DISCLAIMER:The above reflects only a personal opinion and was written without any intend to offend, harm or criticize in any way or manner any individual, institution, association or company including PMDG.Michael

Guest pagotan

Hi,No problem, we can wait for Anthony.Thanks posting.Michael

Just out of curiosity, what is it that is missing? If I understand the original poster correctly it is not possible to enter a FL instead of a altitude value in the TL line of PMDG FMC? Well, in my opinion it

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Ray CYYZ

>Hi Ray,>>Your explanation is good but academic. The question in the>original post was more directed towards the PMDG FMC handling>/ modelling the transition altitudes in different parts of the>world according to local regulations.>>DISCLAIMER:>>The above reflects only a personal opinion and was written>without any intend to offend, harm or criticize in any way or>manner any individual, institution, association or company>including PMDG.>>MichaelOk, then I must have missed the question. It seemed like they were trying to calculate QNH when they don't need to.Apart from the fact that the DES FORECASTS entry Flight Level (LSK1) should show up in FL (going down - set QNE) instead of a raw number, I don't get what the issue is.PERF INIT page entry (RSK5) properly asks for Transition Altitude (going up - set QNH).All that math they seemed to be discussing led me down the path that they were trying to enter QNH, which would actually get entered on DES FORECASTS entry (Destination ISA and QNH) RSK2 (not enabled in current FMC model apart from ISA).Ray

The Smith's FMC is capable of reading TRANS ALT from departure procedures and TRANS LVL from approach procedures and reset the default 18000/FL180 with these values. No calculations are done with regards to transition layers as far as I know. Manual entries are necessary if you don't have the values in the terminal procedures database (which is the case here). TRANS ALT on the PERF INIT page and TRANS LVL expressed in feet on the DES FORCASTS page.The little glitch about TRANS LVL not being expressed in FLs is reported to the team. ;-)Cheers,

Guest Ray CYYZ

>The Smith's FMC is capable of reading TRANS ALT from>departure procedures and TRANS LVL from approach procedures>and reset the default 18000/FL180 with these values. >>No calculations are done with regards to transition layers as>far as I know. Manual entries are necessary if you don't have>the values in the terminal procedures database (which is the>case here). TRANS ALT on the PERF INIT page and TRANS LVL>expressed in feet on the DES FORCASTS page.>>The little glitch about TRANS LVL not being expressed in FLs>is reported to the team. ;-)>>Cheers,Can you also ask for the QNH location to be added while you are at it. I'm not sure how you guys dealt with this in the code, but it might sort out a few things with helping people understand the differences between QNH and QNE if they actually got to enter QNH ;) (even if from an effect standpoint it does nothing). It defaults to 29.92 if nothing is entered.Ray