Sign in to follow this  
F16_Driver

For us flying up north

I am flying a flight pretty far up north right now, (ENTC - ENSB) and it struck med that it would be pretty handy if you guys at PMDG would include True heading. Might be too late too include it in the initial 800/900 release, but in a patch later maybe? I would really appreciate it. :)

Too quote some stuff to explain it better.."What's the difference between True and Magnetic heading?True Heading gives a heading value starting from absolute north (True North Pole). Magnetic Heading gives the value starting from the Earth's Magnetic North Pole, which is different from the True North Pole.""Area of Compass Unreliability The horizontal force of the magnetic field, responsible for the direction in which a compass needle is oriented, decreases in strength as one approaches the North Magnetic Pole, where it is zero. Close to the pole, an area is reached where the frictional forces in the pivot are comparable to the horizontal forces of the magnetic field. The compass starts to behave erratically, and eventually, as the horizontal force decreases even more, the compass becomes unusable."

The compass may become unusable, but your Heading Indicator HSI (which is gyro based), and I would hope also the FMC (which is GPS based) should continue to function... or am I missing something?

Bert

There are more issues at the poles than magnetic compass performance. At the actual north pole, every direction is south- in fact due south. Hard to imagine that, but this is why they use a grid system in the polar latitudes. And you're correct about the mag compass errors too.However, FS won't let us get near the poles. Bruce.

Guest pagotan

Hi All,Could someone refresh my memory (I do not have a current operation manual on hand) but, if I am not wrong the Boeing 737 is not certified above certain latitudes. Is that still the case with the 800/900 series? that is what I need to check in the manuals. The second question would be to analyze if the airports mentioned in the original post are within the validation limits and if yes what are the equipment modifications the local airlines are building into their cockpits.Can the modification be implemented in the sim-world and is it worth it? I would not dare to answer that one.If the restrictions are still in place then I would not recommend PMDG model it differently to accomodate simmers.DISCLAIMER:The above reflects only a personal opinion and was written without any intend to offend, harm or criticize in any way or manner any individual, institution, association or company including PMDG.Michael

Guest Balrog

Don`t know excactly about the latitude limitations, I do seem to remember something on those lines, but can`t remember so no comment on that.Braathens has scheduled flights to ENSB using their classics, mostly the 734, but they`ve used the 737 there as well. Also remember SAS being there for a midnight sun sightseeing flight with one of their 738`s last summer.Cheers,Kjell.