Sign in to follow this  
wrenchca

Creating Stars

Hello All,I am trying my hand at creating STARS and have come up against a problem that I can't quite grasp. When you have a STAR that serves multiple runways but contains different navaids within it for each runway, how are you supposed to enter it in the database? Do you have to make up new names to avoid duplication or am I missing something? I have Terry Yingling's excellent tutorial, but this one has me a little bewildered. Can anyone throw me a hint?Thanks,Chuck

Guest stang

Howdy Chuck. Generally you make a new STAR for each runway under those circumstances but what airport and STAR are you trying to construct?Terry

Hi Terry, There are actually a few that are giving me the gears, but the one in question is the TRURO6 at CYHZ. I know, who wants to go to Halifax anyway. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm sure that once I see how this one is handled, the rest will be easier to understand.Thanks,Chuck

Guest stang

Howdy again Chuck. Unfortunately STAR runway transitions are not available like SID runway transitions are. So yup, this is one where you need to write a separate STAR for each runway transition. You could name them TRURO6, TRURO15, TRURO24 and TRURO33 for example. That way you tie the STAR name to the runway it is intended for.Good luckTerry

Guest Japhy

Hi!Having the same "problem" here, too. At LOWW, there are STARs that serve different runways. They end at a navaid, and from there on there are transitions to each runway. Maybe that could be modeled in the future? But it's not that important (to me, at least). I ended up naming STARs like GBG2W34, GBG2W16, GBGW11 and GBGW29 (for example).Another question regarding STARs and approaches: what's the point in programming ILS - approaches besides the missed approach routing? From the end-point of a STAR, the ILS should take over (I'd guess). So how do I put that down into the procedure file? I tried doing it using the ILS navaid and radial, for some reason it didn't work...regards,Joerg

Thanks Terry, that's pretty much what I figured. I've got two of them done and tested now and they work mint. Thanks again for the help,ChuckCYXU

Guest stang

Howdy Joerg>Another question regarding STARs and approaches: what's the>point in programming ILS - approaches besides the missed>approach routing? Sorry, I don't understand the question.>From the end-point of a STAR, the ILS should take over (I'dSometimes, but some STARs do not set you up for the approach. For example you may use a STAR that comes in from the north (plane heading south) and because of the wind you might have to land heading north. Because of this it may take some vectoring from the end of the STAR procedure to get into position to start the approach procedure. >guess). So how do I put that down into the procedure file? I>tried doing it using the ILS navaid and radial, for some>reason it didn't work...Are you saying you put the approach into the STAR procedure? What STAR and Approach are you trying to do and at what airport?RegardsTerry