Sign in to follow this  
Guest jawbreaker

suggested RAM size... should I upgrade?

Guest jawbreaker

hii would like to get more FPS with my FS2004 & PMDG 737NG. i thought of buying some more RAM. is that recommendable, or won't that increase performance?my specs: P4 2,5 - Radeon 9600 PRO 128 MB - currently 2x 256 MB RAM ----> would buy another 512 MB RAM chipset, but since i have only 2 slots, that would make it 786 MB RAM overall...any comments?thx, stu

Guest Ray CYYZ

If you run a clean machine, you'll be fine. If you run an out of the box machine with tons of crap enabled, 512 is a bit tight. It is really up to how well you optimize your machine. Take a look around to the various web sites that walk you though optimizing various versions of Windows to reduce it's overall footprint.Ray

Guest Balrog

Used to run FS9/PMDG + addon sceneries on a puter with a 2GHz P4, Geforce 64MB video card and 256MB RAM. Was not too happy with performance so I tried to upgrade the RAM only, went to 1024KB RAM. My thinking was that RAM is cheaper than a high end video card, so let`s try the el cheapo solution first. Had also seen a post somewhere saying that PMDG is a "memory hog".Very happy with performance now, new video card not really needed. Things like switching view from side to side froze the sim for a few seconds, not any more. Reasonable FPS on ground, bearing in mind addon sceneries with eye candy and all sliders to the max. Don`t use VC or AI traffic - I only fly real life flight plans (download them at work), and MS ATC is just cr*p.Had to scrap the 256 chip, as I only have three slots available. Even so, mucho cheaper than a new video card.Cheers,Kjell.

Guest jawbreaker

thanks, folks.i think i will go for that extra RAM. sadly, i have to use one of my 256 MB bars for something else... any suggestions there? maybe i can somehow adapt it to my palm....:-)thanks again,stu